• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stubby Tail/Injury

Wottles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys!

A bit new to the forum, but I've been searching around for some help with my beardie, Four, and her tail.

According to the wonderful lady who dropped her off at the shop, her older and much larger beardie decided to nip off her tail. And by nip, I mean it was nice enough to leave about an inch or so left. In any case, Four's tail appears to be an older injury, and is healing nicely. With that said, the stub will still open up and ooze or bleed in small amounts, and scab back over in short order. In the few minutes Four and her food are caged together, the more mobile insects will sometimes get at her tail as well and open it up.

I'm looking for good ways to protect her tail without causing further injury or distress, as well as emergency remedies for when it reopens that aren't toxic. Any thoughts or suggestions are more than appreciated!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Clean the tail with diluted Betadine to keep it clean. When the wound is not oozing, put some Curad Silver Solution on it to help it heal.

How long ago was the injury? It sounds recent if it's still scabbing over. You want to make sure that the tank is kept really clean, I would even use white paper towel for substrate until the tail completely heals to help keep it clean. I would also do a vet visit, if it still opening up, it may need a stitch and the beardie may need an antibiotic.

My girls tail was already nipped and healed over when I got her. I still keep an eye on her tail though because there is a dark spot at the tip, if that were to spread, she could lose more of her tail.

Wottles

Bearded Dragon Egg
I believe the shop was under the impression that it happened when Four was fresh from the shop and into someone's tank (JUST old enough to go home kind of thing). I can't imagine the injury is more than a month old, but it does look VERY clean. No external swelling signs, no redness or odd-colored oozing. When it's not broken open it doesn't seem to bother her at all, which is great! I definitely don't want to cause her any undue stress.

I have some paper towels down now over the carpeting in there and I'm pulling droppings the moment I see them. I've been changing out her water twice a day because she wades in there so often, just an extra measure of cleanliness. I'll definitely need to find a closer exotic vet in case SHTF with her tail!

Latest posts