• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stressed Beardie, not sure what to Stressed

Cel2133

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good to know. I should have known better though. I went through this with my fish. Cats and dogs are easier because everyone has them. But lizards and fish...different story. I actually had a friend with an iguana that I cared for as a teenager for a few months. She was the coolest, but he didn't care for her properly and she bit a chunk out of his face. When Sunny bit at me this morning I knew something was wrong. Luckily I have the background I do. But when I think about the people in my situation who go to a pet store with their three year old who wants a lizard and the pet store recommends a Beardie and then offers this kind of advice and then the Beardie gets aggressive and they just dump the poor thing...this has to happen and really, it upsets me. Pet stores have become more accountable over the past 20+ years about cats and dogs, but they still are not being held accountable about exotic pets and this is upsetting to me. I can only hope that groups like this help in that aspect.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You are trying with him and that is better than what he had before. The red light during the day doesn't allow his pupils to constrict properly and over time can cause damage to the retina. Will it happen overnight, probably not but down the line it can. He needs an overhead heat source next to the UVB during the day to help the body digest and properly synthesize D3. I think it was mentioned to try a household bulb and move the basking spot closer to the light, try that. I don't know what you can get in the UK but here we recommend Par 38 flood lights. You can get them at a hardware store and they are cheaper than the reptile branded basking bulbs.

Check out the links below my comment to some general care and feeding items. He is probably just settling in to his new home. When you go to pet him or pick him up, make sure you don't go over his head with your hand. They have a gland on top of their head that allows them to see light and shadows. If your hand is over it, they can think that a predator is trying to swoop down and eat them and they will become aggressive.

Latest posts