• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stress Vs Stimuli

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
G'day mates,

Resident aussie here aswking questions again.

Now we all know BDs don't do well with change in their environment so this is going to be a multiple part question on husdandry practices. Hopefully we get some interesting answers as we all don't provide the same 4x2x2 love.

I) What do you do to provide mental stimuli?

II) Do you regularly change the decor in your tanks?

III) Do you think that changing their environment stresses them out?

IV) Do you have a naturalistic or "care sheet" enclosure?

V) Do you move tanks around?

VI) What behaviours have you noticed that would indicate to you they are stressed?

VII) What behaviour have you noticed to indicate to you they are mentally stimulated?

VII) Should I stop asking silly questions?

Cheers

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For starters, never stop the questions. They are interesting in many ways.

I'll join in the following:
II) Not regularly. When Bernie became bigger and outgrew some of his decor. For example, he needed a larger piece of driftwood to hold his fat self up. His hammock no loger stuck to the walls when he climbed up. He couldn't fit under his hide, so a larger one was needed.

III) I think some dragons get stressed with change. Others become curious and realize they are still in their home. A new rock, etc. just happened to peak up.

IV) I admit we had a caresheet viv. Next time around, that will probably change a bit with everything we've learned.

V) no. Bernie had the best of both worlds. He could hang out with us when we ate at the kitchen table. And observe us when in the family room. He was always in action.

VI) Can't say that I ever witnessed Bernie stressed.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Depends on the dragon. Magellan's enclosure doesn't allow different stimuli within his enclosure but Boris's does.
Magellan adapts to change very easily ever since he was a hatchling. He always had changing surroundings partially to me trying to learn the "correct" way to care for him at the time. Now that he's older and in a permanent enclosure I allow him full roam of the house for several hours with access to UVB and heat as well as food and water. I will place things on the floor at random every day so his environment is "new" every day and he never seems to be bored. Matter of fact he's gotten quite irritated at me when it's time to go back inside his enclosure so Boris and Frank can have their turns too.

Boris's enclosure allows me to move things and change things up a bit. I have changed his substrates from paper towel, tile, dirt to non adhesive shelf liner. He didn't seem to mind much but I did this mostly to find something he was happier on. As far as arranging his furniture he shows no signs of stress. Still eats me out of house and home, basks normally, poos normally. It's as if it's just another day for him. He also gets the same out of enclosure roam Magellan does.

Along with those methods, I offer different feeders and different methods of feeding them. Roaches are fed in a bin, worms in the enclosure for them to hunt on their own and the occasional cricket and fruits are hand fed.

For Boris, yes about every 3 weeks.

I think certain changes can yes. Great changes in temps, UVB, available hides and even substrate changes can I believe.

Magellan was my guinea pig and I experimented with him to find something he seemed the happiest in which was your "care sheet" enclosure. Boris is happy with a half soil half tile/slate type of enclosure but not a full tile enclosure.

No, mine are way to large and heavy to move. If they had wheels then sure, I would move them around to make sure they were in sunny spots all day.

VI) What behaviours have you noticed that would indicate to you they are stressed?
"Stress marks" on the belly are a sign but not always a sign of stress for my guys. Appetite decrease and increased hiding time are signs for me. My beardies are usually bouncing off the walls with energy from lights on to lights off when they are happy. If they aren't it is very obvious.

VII) What behaviour have you noticed to indicate to you they are mentally stimulated?
Digging when a new diggable substrate is offered, pacing around the "new" decor and licking it while not exhibiting any of the above signs of stress. They seem entertained for lack of a better word and are constantly on the move rather than being lazy in a corner somewhere.

NO! I like the exercise it gives my brain!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please don't stop the questions/info. I love learning from you and not just on beardies but all aussie lizards

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I) do I provide mental stimuli... Yeah, it's called feeding time, bath time, snuggle time...
2) Do I change decorations regularly?
Not really... Though I might switch the "steps" area from one side to the other now and then on Gemini...
3) Do I think changing the environment stresses them?
Yes. Mine tend to pout, poo then walk through it, black beard, take a defensive stance, when annoyed. Yardley hides, and beards; Gem pouts; Orion will beard, defensive stance, poo and spread it all over the viv... Annebelle just goes with it.
4) Not really... I tend to find things that work, from all sorts of sources, and go with it... Still an experiment in progress.
5) Nope... They stay on that one wall.. No one can see anyone else.. and that's just fine for me... Besides, it's right handy that way too..
6) Noted above.
7) Haven't seen a silly question out of those finger tappings yet, Francis.. What question were you referring to ?

Hope that helps !
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

With mental stimuli being defined as the operation of the mind process by which we become aware of objects, my answers are pretty cheesy, but I feel the need to break it down a little.

I’ll start with babies. Babies are raised in bins, with paper towel substrate, heat and UVB and a rock or log to bask on. Rather straight forward boring setup. Their acclimation is rather important, considering they’re not intended to stay with me forever. So I move them from bin to bin, changing all smell and basking sites weekly. Depending on their size and sex, their cage mates may also change.

For my own animals……..I tend to be of a more curious nature. I observe their actions, reactions and behaviors in daily life. Each dragon is moved once a month as I break down enclosures. I allow each of them full view of the others at some point as well as the view of other species. Their entire area changes as far as the basking items provided, the substrate, the view, the food, ect. (they’re still fed……..just possibly a different insect or treat than the rest)

Yes. Basking sites are changed regularly, as well as the caging it’s self and substrate. In Melamine enclosures the walls are a boring white, unfortunately….but in glass enclosures, I do appreciate backgrounds.

Here’s where my opinion and point of view seem to differ from most. I believe that everything living has stress. In animals of any species that stress can involve fluctuating weather, food, predators, ect. And I believe it is that natural “knowledge” of stress that makes animals alert and provides nature with “the survival of the fittest”. It also enables them to deal with their level of stress in a natural way. (There is no Albon in the wild huh?) In captivity, our animals are not subject to the laws of nature, but should that mean that they have no need to use their natural senses?

So essentially yes Francis……..I believe what I do can cause stress. I also find that stress is adaptable in my animals and can’t prove it not to be beneficial.

I have both.

I move Dragons……….same diff.

My notes indicated sudden movements, as if startled. Their lighter or brighter coloration seems to darken somewhat and they stay close to “cover” which is usually a hide, large leafy area or somewhere they can quickly take refuse in. Within about 3 days, they do adapt and this isn’t seen for their remainder of time in that enclosure. (Except on snake feeding day)

They constantly search out their enclosures, thermoregulate, hunt and explore. Rarely do they lay around doing nothing.

Nope……never darlin

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well I guess I will put in what i do as well

A change in environment and change in feeders. I have multiple furnishings at home spare for each tank. Once a month at the big clean they all get new furnishing with the exception of the "bat eater" as she is still in the "click clack". I change not only the furnishing but the position of the basking lamp and substrate material.

Yes, everytime i clean nothing is the same with the exception of the background sheet (I cant be bothered with that).

Yes but they adapt rather fast or I should say mine does as i have always done it, I get at max 2-3 hours of stressed behaviour before exploration starts.

Both, it depends on the time of the year, the decor rotation of the enclosure and the health of the specimen. Predominantly i keep a naturalistic environment for my specimens.

No I don't, no space and their too heavy for my lazy butt to try and move.

Hiding, increased alertness, colour change, body language (i.e tension, tail raising..etc)

Exploration, "air tasting", licking

I guess not from the responses I have gotten, hope fully the Qs gives you guys a bit of mental stimuli and gets you thinking about your set ups and the care of your dragons.

Do not be afraid to change your settings for the fear of stress, they are naturally nomadic and usually only stay within the area in their vast territory for only a short period of time or when the food source is exhausted. They will adapt to the constant changing with no I'll effect and infact i think it is beneficial. I have only seen my dragon glass dance probably 7-8 times in its life and he is 7 years old now (not saying that he does'nt do it when I'm not around).

On a side note I handle all my specimen at a minimum, I get them acclimatised to my presence at an early age to the point where i know if i need to "man handle" them they won't get stressed or put up a defensive posture. After that all handling is kept to the necessities like moving and bathing, no further handling is done beyond that. I want them to see me as a constant part of their environment but not as a necessity or a source of interaction so as they would display naturalistic behaviour around me. I do this for all reptile species I keep.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Each gets fed breakfast and soaked. We talk to them all the time. Actually they are such a part of our family that they pout when no one is home. (I know not always good). Each gets snuggle time at night. We never let more then one out at a time. Since Magick and Semi are in our living room, Jada gets most of her out time after they are asleep. All loves to be rocked.

2) Do you regularly change the decor in your tanks? Not very often. Jada is the only one that gets things changed. She loves stuffed animals so I replace them every once in a while or if she poops and covers her poop with a stuffie.

3) Do you think that changing their environment stresses them out? Mine do. Once I took Semi's baby basking rock out and he freaked. He was all over his tank and would not settle down until I put it back in. He's had that darn rock for 5 years almost. But now if I add something I just rub their blankets all over it and it reduces the stress.

4) Do you have a naturalistic or "care sheet" enclosure? Neither, each has their own enclosure that suits them best.

5) Do you move tanks around? Don't have room or manpower to move them.

6) What behaviours have you noticed that would indicate to you they are stressed? Body language.

7) What behaviour have you noticed to indicate to you they are mentally stimulated? They actually act like they understand us. Once, I called Semi, who was wandering on the floor and he came to me and laid on the top of my foot as I walked.

8) Should I stop asking silly questions? Nope

Latest posts