• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange Odd Things...

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So Magma is finally all growed up and is gravid. she laid a clutch of 20+ already. I was expecting her to dig at the ground of the enclosure. Instead of digging she scratched the surface with her head and kind of dragged herself around. It was very similar to her behavior when she sheds so I didn't think that much about until I find an egg in her tank.

I had the sand and box ready so I grabbed them and set it up feeling horrible that she had to go through this the first time in the wrong way. She loved the box and dove right in slinging sand everywhere and thoroughly coating the glass of the tank. I eventually went to bed and she was still digging. I woke the next morning to find her pass out on top of her eggs.

She slept longer than normal only opening her eyes to a slit when the lights clicked on to only close them and fall back asleep. She woke up after a couple of hours and couldn't figure out how to cover her eggs. She was head butting them over and over seemingly trying to shove them down further into the dirt, which there wasn't anymore of. I reached in and brushed some of the sand from the other side of the box and covered the eggs lightly. She got the idea and completed the job. The whole while head butting the sand onto the eggs. I had no idea that they used their heads like shovels.

Something else strange that she had started doing was diving and swimming when she had her bath. She will walk around the water for a bit and then lift her legs and duck her head swimming through the water. It kind of worries that she has started doing this as a few times it has seemed that she passed out.

How long can they hold their breath? Is it normal for them to dive under the water?

note: the water depth is no more than a couple of inches. She can freely stand up out of it if she chooses.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
they will come up eventually

they do a shark dive as i call it id be careful on that time you get the eggs out the longer there in that box the less chance of survival

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
awwww i'm sorry 2 hear that bout the eggs!!!! :( some beardies like 2 swim, go under water & play while taking a bath...others h8t it & just want out, like my beardie. lol i wish he wud get use 2 it already & start nose diving under like urs!!!

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm not sorry about the eggs. I don't want babies... I'm just sorry that she has to go through it. Since I wrote this she has had another clutch that seemed to go faster but had her sleeping for almost a week after.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Jeez, it seems like having a female bearded dragon is much tougher then having a male.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
what is the difference in a male and female aside from the eggs? i mean personality wise they should be the same?
I think so. Gabe started head bobbing at me a lot before he left though, and my females don't.

Latest posts