• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange behavior

Aubs15

Hatchling Dragon
Hey everyone i have a few questions. Skeeter is now about 8 months old and for the past two to 3 weeks he was hiding a lot not coming out to really eat, I realized his uv light needed to be replaced soon so I went ahead and did it early. I went from the 5.0 to the 10 and since then he has been going INSANE. he’s climbing up as high as he can in his enclosure, scratching and clawing up the same spot next to the uv light and refusing to eat. He had been on a diet of Dubia and doing really well on them, then he decides he won’t eat them anymore. Maybe one or two every few days. He refuses to eat anymore but one or two pieces of his greens and I try to give him as much of a variety as I can. Squash, collards, mustard greens and dandelion greens. He won’t touch any of them except the collards and it’s one or two small pieces.....so I decided to try hornworms. He loved them the first few days and now is refusing those as well. He was pooping regularly every other day up until a few weeks ago as well. Then he went to once a week. With the hornworms he of course went two times a day the first couple days he was eating them because they’re so full of liquid. He’s constantly dark. The first day after I tried the hornworms he turned a beautiful orange but now he’s back to being almost black. His temps on the hot side are about 85-90 his basking spot sits at about 106 and his cool side is around 75-80 depending on the temps in the house. He refuses to go to his cool side and chooses to lay under his hide on the hot side or up on his hammock as close to the uv light as he can get. I’m at my wits end. I’m not for sure if they go through puberty or what but at this point his temperament and the way he’s tearing up His wall is scaring me. Thanks for your help and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone i have a few questions. Skeeter is now about 8 months old and for the past two to 3 weeks he was hiding a lot not coming out to really eat, I realized his uv light needed to be replaced soon so I went ahead and did it early. I went from the 5.0 to the 10 and since then he has been going INSANE. he’s climbing up as high as he can in his enclosure, scratching and clawing up the same spot next to the uv light and refusing to eat. He had been on a diet of Dubia and doing really well on them, then he decides he won’t eat them anymore. Maybe one or two every few days. He refuses to eat anymore but one or two pieces of his greens and I try to give him as much of a variety as I can. Squash, collards, mustard greens and dandelion greens. He won’t touch any of them except the collards and it’s one or two small pieces.....so I decided to try hornworms. He loved them the first few days and now is refusing those as well. He was pooping regularly every other day up until a few weeks ago as well. Then he went to once a week. With the hornworms he of course went two times a day the first couple days he was eating them because they’re so full of liquid. He’s constantly dark. The first day after I tried the hornworms he turned a beautiful orange but now he’s back to being almost black. His temps on the hot side are about 85-90 his basking spot sits at about 106 and his cool side is around 75-80 depending on the temps in the house. He refuses to go to his cool side and chooses to lay under his hide on the hot side or up on his hammock as close to the uv light as he can get. I’m at my wits end. I’m not for sure if they go through puberty or what but at this point his temperament and the way he’s tearing up His wall is scaring me. Thanks for your help and advice.

lol this happens alot and is likely because he's now getting some really good UVB! AND he is entering that manic boy phase..just keep doing what your doing and offer him the variety of foods that you have been. They won't starve themselves, and their eating and pooping routine will change as they get older. (they like to drive us crazy) And since he is becoming of age they will do things like that alot!! Try and take him out on a leash and get some energy out of him and it may help with things. One of our mod's here her boy glass surfed ALL the time for like 3 years lol drove her crazy nothing she did helped him, but he has calmed down since. My adult male surfed ALOT this spring but now has calmed (spring being when they look for a mate) ... MAYBE since you upgraded to the 10.0 he thinks it is spring time...

Aubs15

Hatchling Dragon
Well that definitely makes me feel better lol
So when I do take him out on his leash he literally just sits there. Doesn’t matter how long we are out for he refuses to do anything but sit there and then when I bring him back in he goes black bearded and freaks out. I will definitely keep trying though! He’s driving me crazy lol If I let him out to explore in the house without his leash he goes and finds a spot and passes out. He is soooo strange. Hopefully he will calm down after a while and start eating regularly again! Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it! Nice to know I shouldn’t be freaking out.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Keep doing what you are doing. Dragons are picky little bastards and you can stock up on their favorite food and the minute you do, they decide they don't want it! My oldest girl, when she was a baby and used to willingly eat her greens, she would go crazy for red things one week so I would think I got something she really liked. The next week I'd stock up on strawberries and red peppers and anything else red and she'd stick her nose up but she would eat green things! One time I bought dandelion greens with red veins in them, she refused to eat them but I handed her a dandelion green with green veins and she gobbled them up! She was such a brat, and now she's almost 6 and won't eat any greens on her own.

My boy used to do the same glass climbing too. I would take him out of his tank and he'd run around for a few minutes and then find a corner to curl up in! Now his tank is on the bottom shelf and I take him out and put him on the other side of the house and he will run right back to his tank and climb back in LOL!

Aubs15

Hatchling Dragon
He is definitely a crazy boy. I’m glad to hear it’s not just mine lol. He’s currently glass surfing and running all over as we speak but I know as soon as I take him out he will just not move lol I did a deep clean on his tank two nights ago and went and got him some new tile to cover his entire enclosure floor. I’m hoping that might help as I feel like maybe his temps weren’t spot on with the shelf liner holding a lot of the heat in? I put his greens in yesterday and he just threw them all over his tank. Pretty sure he didn’t eat a single bite... I’ll have to try some peppers maybe he will like the colors lol thank you for making me feel better!

Aubs15

Hatchling Dragon
Patsy or Hydra or anyone else have any recommendations for his enclosure? I just updated all of the flooring... and I’m of course missing a few pieces but other than that do you have any suggestions???

4561ec743f9aa1073470cc84dec40d0c.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think it looks fine. What's the temp in the basking spot?

Aubs15

Hatchling Dragon
It was around 107 at the hottest spot on his log so I cracked both doors on either side of the enclosure to get some more air flowing through and it rests at about 102 now. Should I go down to a 50w instead of a 75w?

Latest posts