• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange Beardie Habits

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My big guy has definitely developed some strange habits over time and I was wondering if anyone else's dragons had done the same? He's currently 13 months old and around 460 grams. The first habit he developed around 6 months old was wiping his bottom after going to the bathroom, literally he pauses for about 2 seconds and drags his bottom about 3 inches like a dog scoots on the carpet. He does that every time. He also seems to prefer going when I'm nearby (my guess is because he knows I'll clean it right away). I keep him in my bedroom and if he sees my reading or taking a nap when he has to go he'll glass dance and make tons of noise till I go over and say hi and then he pauses, makes eye contact, and does his business (the eye-contact freaks me out). He also inflates his beard every morning about 4 or 5 times in rapid succession to give it a good stretch. He also prefers to sleep with his right arm tucked backwards by his belly. Anyone else have a dragon with weird habits?

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
Our big one does the neck puff every morning almost looks like hes choking.after he does it he's fine.our little one will make so much noise when hes hungry haha.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol. Mine does the same thing every morning when she goes to the bathroom in her tank. She's pretty particular when it comes to her tank. It's like, Oh look Mommy. I left you something there and it's time to clean it up and take me out to run around on your bed.

She watches me like a hawk if she's interested and what's funny is the way she loves to eat her crickets. I take some out the night before to gutload and she'll sit there and wait for me to finish cleaning her tank. When I take the gutloaded crickets and a white container, out comes the biggest tongue I've ever seen from her. It's like she's saying, Gimme Gimme! Gimme them now!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dexter scoots too after she poops. It's funny because she only goes in the tub so when she poops she freezes up her back legs so she looks paralyzed walking around scooting her bottom!

I think everything she does is strange. One thing that sticks out is she will sit on the back of the couch and stare at the wall and then try to jump to climb the wall. Luckily I watch over her closely so I can catch her!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dexter scoots too after she poops. It's funny because she only goes in the tub so when she poops she freezes up her back legs so she looks paralyzed walking around scooting her bottom!

I think everything she does is strange. One thing that sticks out is she will sit on the back of the couch and stare at the wall and then try to jump to climb the wall. Luckily I watch over her closely so I can catch her!

Mine tries to climb up the wall and the computer screen. She blocks the computer screen whenever she can so I can't read your posts or my friend's posts on fb.

woodson28

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My Iggy does the same.. He will poop on the far side of the tank & then run to my side & make so much noise dancing around.. If i dont clean the mess fast enough he will get a black beard & it goes away immediately after i clean it. He also likes to harass my dog. She will be laying there & he will walk up to her face, almost nose to nose & she will get up & turn around, lay back down & Iggy will run around to the other side & get back in her face. This will go on until my dog will whine & gimme this look like please make him stop dad! Its pretty funny. But they are buds 20130322_160707.jpgthey like to watch the cars go bye together.

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
My little boy likes to sleep with his belly against the glass (he has his "upper" part against the side glass) I'm not sure how that is even remotely comfy but to him it is....he's done that for as long as I've had him and I used to make him move but he'll just go straight back to that position lol

My little girl is afraid of thunder (never had a beardie who was, and its just thunder, she's fine with vacuums or me dropping something...its weird) lol As bad as this may sound, I like that she is because she becomes a cuddle bug and is glued to me until it stops (she's a cuddler and loves to sleep with her head on my neck)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My little boy likes to sleep with his belly against the glass (he has his "upper" part against the side glass) I'm not sure how that is even remotely comfy but to him it is....he's done that for as long as I've had him and I used to make him move but he'll just go straight back to that position lol

My little girl is afraid of thunder (never had a beardie who was, and its just thunder, she's fine with vacuums or me dropping something...its weird) lol As bad as this may sound, I like that she is because she becomes a cuddle bug and is glued to me until it stops (she's a cuddler and loves to sleep with her head on my neck)

That's so cute she's afraid of thunder. They need to make "Thunder Shirts" for beardies! Dexter isn't afraid of anything yet. She even sits still and closes her eyes when the cats come up to give her "kisses" on the nose!

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
Lol, my little boy Ruger isn't afraid of anything either, he's a typical male, tries to be all tough and high n mighty but once he realizes that your not falling for it he's mister sweet pea lol.

They should! Even tho I kinda like that she is since she becomes more of a little cuddle bug (lol I'm a bad mommy).

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Great picture with your Dog and Bearded Dragon. We have two Yorkies and a Bichon. I once left the Bearded Dragon on the bed with them and my Bearded Dragon freaked out on the Bichon when he tried to sniff him. My Bichon just watched him with a curious look as the BD was bobbing his head and opening his mouth. I was actually more worried the BD would bite the dog. After that I have kept them separate. Nice yours get along.

Waffles

Bearded Dragon Egg
My Waffles does the same things! After he does his "business" his tail arches high near his vent and he turns his tail to the side and scoots forward rubbing his underside on the ground. That's when he makes eye contact with me like he's saying "Privacy, man!" or "Hurry up and clean it up!" He doesn't care if I'm there or not when he does it tho. However, he will hide in the far corner of his cage till I clean it up. After it's all cleaned up his color softens and he likes to cuddle or bask.

He likes to sleep on his hammock with one arm going around the hammock and the other palm up. Once he was just chilling with his palm up and I stroked his palm. He looked at me and turned his other hand palm side up. Of course, I stroked that one, too.

Also, he will be completely puffed up on his basking rock every morning. I think he's trying to increase surface area to get warmer. I leave him be till he deflates. We all have our morning routines and I guess he has one, too. ;)

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Haha my little guy (Heimdall, 11 months old) sleeps with both of his front arms tucked alongside his belly, I’m always diligent about calcium because it’s so weird, I panic he’s got MBD at least once a week but nope, he’s just bizarre lol. He also does the beard stretch every morning, and opens his mouth as wide as he can almost like a yawn also. And I SWEAR he’s learned to poop on me/my bed when he’s ready to go back in his cage because he knows I’ll put him away immediately to clean it up! He’s a brat haha! Gotta love our scaley buddies

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don’t know why this old ass thread got sent to my email like a new one! Weird.. sorry for resurrecting it like that

Latest posts