• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange Beardie Behaviour

Meganimoo

Hatchling Dragon
What does it mean when beardies just sit with their mouths open? Persie keeps doing it, sometimes just a little but sometimes his mouth is wide open and his tongue is out slightly. I haven't noticed that he does it at a certain time. Its really weird, he even walks around with it open sometimes! Any ideas??

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
they do this to control their body temps!! when they get to hot and open their mouths to cool themselves down now if she does this often you should check the cool side of your tank and basking spot making sure its not getting to hot...what are you using to take the temps with?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gaping is a very common & natural behavior of BDs. As Jesse said, it is a method of thermoregulation. I call it being 'too darn lazy' to move to a cooler spot to slightly regulate their temps ;) . But again is a natural happening & does not necessarily mean that your temps are out, just that it wants\wanted to slightly cool itself using this method at that particular time. If the temps are too hot, it will move, providing that there is a cooler area to retreat too. If your temps are being measured with an accurate digital thermometer with a probe\sensor, taken directly at the Basking Spot & give a reading in the vicinity of 110F, along with a measurement of the coolest area of the enclosure that also gives a heat gradient to between 80-85F, you are just fine.

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
Just wanted to make sure that his temps are good because many of my friends beardies did this cuz that had it was to hot yikes!! But in this case you are just fine just like to double check things to play it on the safe side!

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
again, another one of my questions I was going to ask answered. I noticed Boomer doing this too, and was worried temps werent right. I have double checked them though, and made sure the thermostat probe is nice and firmly in place and the temps are spot on. Thanks again guys :)

Meganimoo

Hatchling Dragon
I thought it must be something like that. I've got all my temps right so its good to know that he's just being lazy, and its not too hot in there! I'm new to the wonderful world of Beardies but I learn something new everyday on this site!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Latest posts