• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

stopped eating. losing weight

cody

Hatchling Dragon
I can only get my beardie to eat a few dubais a day and mabey a few greens. I'll put the dubais right in front of him and he doesn't even really notice them. Does seem to be loosing weight. He use to eat good. Temps are good. Uvb mounted inside about 3 months old. Got him to drink some water and baths. Poops every day and I guess it doesn't really smell that bad. He kind of just basks and hides occasionally. And kind I'd stopped eating. Iv don't everything I can think of. Besides vet yet. There has also been a small amount of gunk forming in one eye. He keeps it closed a lot. Every night I get it out with saline and a qtip. Any suggestions? I switched to only calcium because I herd to much d3 was bad. But started using it again thinking maybe he needed some d3.
IMAG0671.jpg

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How old is he? Have you tried worms? How long has he been in the cycle of not eating? They're like all the rest of Gods creatures - they have mood swings too. Has anything in the environment changed?

cody

Hatchling Dragon
Ok just tried to give him a Phoenix worm. He ate one and no all of assudden he's grabbing carrots from my hand. Eating greens and had a few dubais. I have a bowl filled with dusted Dubais he usally goes nuts but recently he'll only have a few. I guess hew ok I just don't like how he stopped eating. I think he's/she I'd about 6 months old. Enviorment hasn't changed

Badwolf

Bearded Dragon Egg
To me it seems like it's time to see a vet. He my have picked up a bug or bacterial infection or something. Go online and look for a small animal vet, one that specializes in reptiles. Should cost about 65$ for the visit. After that they are all different. The sooner you go the sooner he should start feeling better. Poor little guy. Best wishes!
Cheers

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Your UVB light is mounted poorly. It needs to be mounted above the basking area rather than on the back wall. Right now the angle has it shining into the eye of the dragon. That is why its keeping the eye closed and there is gunk in it. Its getting photokerato-conjunctivitus. The UV wavelengths damage the sensitive eye tissue, causing the production of mucus as a protective measure. Turn the light off entirely for a week and then move it so that the light is mounted above. This will give the eye time to heal. Mounting it above will allow the brow ridges to naturally block the UV wavelengths from entering the eye.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your UVB light is mounted poorly. It needs to be mounted above the basking area rather than on the back wall. Right now the angle has it shining into the eye of the dragon. That is why its keeping the eye closed and there is gunk in it. Its getting photokerato-conjunctivitus. The UV wavelengths damage the sensitive eye tissue, causing the production of mucus as a protective measure. Turn the light off entirely for a week and then move it so that the light is mounted above. This will give the eye time to heal. Mounting it above will allow the brow ridges to naturally block the UV wavelengths from entering the eye.

Good info - as always – Jarich! Great to have you here!

Nichole1228

Juvenile Dragon
I have some lightning issues and Jarich helped me a lot!!

Nichole1228

Juvenile Dragon
Well now Im eblushing hahaha. Thanks for the kind words!

Well ty for all ur advice!! U really helped me! After we talked I moved her uvb light in the same dome with her basking light ( until I can get a full spectrum one) and I have seen such a difference in her, she now doesn't spend all her time perched under her basking light!! I've seen her actually down moving around and eating out of her bowl!!

Latest posts