• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Still basking at lights out / shedding

MichelleM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all.

New to the forum and a completely new beardie owner.

We’ve had Luna with us for a good 3 weeks or so now and she seems to be really settling in now. She even climbs on me to come out when I’m feeding her and nestles on my shoulder (still getting used to that! )

Anyway. The basking lamp she came with was a white 80w bulb and it blew about 2 weeks ago...on a Sunday so I rushed to the only reptile store locally (ish) that does bayonet reptil bulbs as for some reason that’s what’s been fitted in this tank.

The store said it was best to buy a red bulb (I’ve since read otherwise) at 60w and just leave it on. Which is what we’ve been doing for the past fortnight. She seems to be perky, eating well and pooping well since this change. I also replaced her uv bulb as the previous owners didn’t tell us how long they’d had it and I only found out last week that the uv will go before the bulb actually blows and you won’t know.

The tank she came with hasn’t been lifted out particularly well at all so we’re buying and learning as we go. At present she has a basking end with the red bulb and across the back of the tank she has the uv bulb.

At the cooler end is a hammock and a cork wood thingy (sorry I don’t know what it’s officially called).

We have a thermometer in the middle of the tank that reads 90 consistently. I aim to buy a new thermometer for the opposite ends of the tank ASAP but we’re kinda going from scratch here so it’s taking us longer than we’d like.

There’s the background, thanks for reading. Tonight she’s been very active whilst out, she’s been in the bath, eaten well and gone back into her viv where she’s pretty much stayed at her basking spot the whole evening. She’s been gaping her mouth whilst chilling there which she’s not done here before but we read that it’s normal so that’s cool. But...her UV lights are on from 8am to 8pm and an hour after lights out she’s still basking and gaping under the red bulb.

is that normal? Should we turn it off? I am going to swap the bulb to a non white one on Thursday when I can get to the shop.

She is also going grey in some spots, we’ve looked online and she looks like she’s ready to shed, her previous owners said she hadn’t done for a while. She’s 18 months old apparently.

could the basking after dark and the shedding be connected or is there something we are missing?

thanks

MichelleM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the reply. Will get a probe for testing temp as soon as I can afford to.

We have a T8 UV bulb 10% which I just purchased. I’m just looking at reflectors for that too.

Her diet is:

daily:
pea shoots
Rocket
Cabbage leaves
Red pepper - she doesn’t really like it though
Morrio worms / Dubia roaches / meal worms - either or a mixture depending how she feels when I offer it to her haha

Occasionally:
Blueberries
Red Grapes
Plum
Fresh Basil leaves
Wax worms

MichelleM

Bearded Dragon Egg
We did get her a bright white 100w but I think it was far too hot for her as she wouldn’t sit under it.

the tank she came with is only a 3ft one.

the bulb we have now ( even though it’s red) Is only a 60w and she’s been sitting under it with her mouth gaping this eve.

Latest posts