• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting injections and vet questions

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
Stella went to the vet today. They can’t find an infection but think she has one based on not digesting food well. X-rays and blood work are normal. They couldn’t find parasites but said the stool was too old(it was 2 days old but kept cold). Has anyone had their beardie on injectable antibiotics? Did it help and how did it help? How about critical care? Stella eats veggies and insects daily. Has anyone supplemented a diet with critical care with a beardie that eats and is normal weight and is already on supplements? I guess just left feeling a bit confused today.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stella went to the vet today. They can’t find an infection but think she has one based on not digesting food well. X-rays and blood work are normal. They couldn’t find parasites but said the stool was too old(it was 2 days old but kept cold). Has anyone had their beardie on injectable antibiotics? Did it help and how did it help? How about critical care? Stella eats veggies and insects daily. Has anyone supplemented a diet with critical care with a beardie that eats and is normal weight and is already on supplements? I guess just left feeling a bit confused today.
Basking temps are crucial to digesting food- uvb is crucial to absorption of the calcium- I don't know why an antibiotic would be given unless absolutely sure there is an infection-- I would not feed critical care unless the dragon absolutely needs it- it is used for dragons who are sick and malnourished- if your dragon is eating and getting regular supplements he does not need it- take a fresh fecal in just to rule out parasites - common signs of parasites can be extremely runny stools extremely stinky stools and if high enough counts can cause lack of appetite and lethargic behavior

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
Basking temps are crucial to digesting food- uvb is crucial to absorption of the calcium- I don't know why an antibiotic would be given unless absolutely sure there is an infection-- I would not feed critical care unless the dragon absolutely needs it- it is used for dragons who are sick and malnourished- if your dragon is eating and getting regular supplements he does not need it- take a fresh fecal in just to rule out parasites - common signs of parasites can be extremely runny stools extremely stinky stools and if high enough counts can cause lack of appetite and lethargic behavior
Hi Sadie,

Basking temps are around 105. She had high counts of parasites and worms a few weeks ago and was on one round of Panacur and Metranidizole which I think made her sicker but the vet denied that and said it she is probably still sick but all tests have come back normal. I took a fecal in but they didn’t give it to the vet, it sat out all day and they said the test was negative but they don’t feel it was a good sample and want me to bring another one after the injections are done. UVB light is new and was tested, it’s placed properly inside the enclosure. She uses it daily. She has been eating really well and weighs normal, they actually had me cut back on her feeding at the last visit. Vet said the critical care is to add fiber and firm up her stool. I just don’t feel like I understand it all. Something doesn’t add up to me. I will say Stella has been lazy lately, I’m pretty sure she was going to go into brumation with the drop in temps here so I have made a point to take her out each day and keep her enclosure warmer at night (75-80) with a CHE.

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
I’d get a second opinion but we’ve already paid $600 to this vet in just 3 weeks! I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’d get a second opinion but we’ve already paid $600 to this vet in just 3 weeks! I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.
See if this post helps w/ the medication hes on --- Panacur is common for parasites - did they mention anything about coccidia ? My guess is hes having after effects of the Metranidizole-- read the link I posted for you about that med-- as far as the critical care I would try that as well see what happens w / the stool - - this med is also called Flagyl -- I would get her on a probiotic as this is pretty harsh stuff from what I am reading - this vet your going to is a reptile vet ?
Is she not on the meds anymore? If shes is parasite free they would not be causing the runny stool-- diet would cause runny stool - you want her going into brumation w/ healthy weight but it could be just laziness and trying to regroup from the parasites and meds given as far as behavior as well - I am glad shes eating thats good and basking like she should - I would avoid alot of squash that tends to cause runny stools along w/ watery foods too - fruit - green peppers have lots of water - I would feed mainly greens for now maybe a little sweet potato that is fiber and will make her go poop - raw and shred add to the tops of her salads -

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
See if this post helps w/ the medication hes on --- Panacur is common for parasites - did they mention anything about coccidia ? My guess is hes having after effects of the Metranidizole-- read the link I posted for you about that med-- as far as the critical care I would try that as well see what happens w / the stool - - this med is also called Flagyl -- I would get her on a probiotic as this is pretty harsh stuff from what I am reading - this vet your going to is a reptile vet ?
Is she not on the meds anymore? If shes is parasite free they would not be causing the runny stool-- diet would cause runny stool - you want her going into brumation w/ healthy weight but it could be just laziness and trying to regroup from the parasites and meds given as far as behavior as well - I am glad shes eating thats good and basking like she should - I would avoid alot of squash that tends to cause runny stools along w/ watery foods too - fruit - green peppers have lots of water - I would feed mainly greens for now maybe a little sweet potato that is fiber and will make her go poop - raw and shred add to the tops of her salads -
Thank you. I have been feeding shredded carrot, should I stop that too? Yes, I’ve noticed bell peppers lead to the runs. She loves them but I do limit to once every few weeks. When you say squash do you mean summer or winter? Summer squash has a lot of water and low fiber but winter tends to be lower water higher fiber. I give her some kabocha and delicata shredded. I have had her on Dragon Fuel which has probiotic but the vet said it contains things beardies don’t eat so I’ve just been providing it once a week. Are there probiotics for beardies? I can’t imagine they have the same micro biome and humans so I’d be reluctant to provide the same strains.

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
I read the post. So soy yogurt is good specifically? Are there any ingredients to avoid?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I read the post. So soy yogurt is good specifically? Are there any ingredients to avoid?
Visit this websitehttps://bug-de-lite.com/ its run by a vet tech mod that is very good - contact Tracie on the website and ask her -- tell her what the vet told you and what was prescribed and how much was prescribed - and ask about the critical care food that was also recommended she can be very helpful --- she will tell you what to get for her as far as the soy yogurt etc ---- shes from Texas and is currently working on research for the adenovirus and cause

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
Visit this websitehttps://bug-de-lite.com/ its run by a vet tech mod that is very good - contact Tracie on the website and ask her -- tell her what the vet told you and what was prescribed and how much was prescribed - and ask about the critical care food that was also recommended she can be very helpful --- she will tell you what to get for her as far as the soy yogurt etc ---- shes from Texas and is currently working on research for the adenovirus and cause
Thank you. I appreciate your time. I’ll see what else I can find out.

Latest posts