• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spotty activity?

Zappier

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all my beardy has had weird activity recently like staying awake in her cave/ sleeping all day or coming out and basking, it varies what she does she either comes out for the day or stays in bed, I was wondering what’s going on? What could be happening?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all my beardy has had weird activity recently like staying awake in her cave/ sleeping all day or coming out and basking, it varies what she does she either comes out for the day or stays in bed, I was wondering what’s going on? What could be happening?
Could be the weather -- could be the lighting in the tank along w/ basking temps- please go over all this brand and bulbs where the bulbs are placed -- how old is the dragon --- how are you getting surface basking temps? NO stick ons please Any colored bulbs being used ?

Zappier

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could be the weather -- could be the lighting in the tank along w/ basking temps- please go over all this brand and bulbs where the bulbs are placed -- how old is the dragon --- how are you getting surface basking temps? NO stick ons please Any colored bulbs being used ?
Ok so she has a basking bulb(thrive 100 watt) above her ramp ontop of the mesh(her basking spot) she has a uvb tube along the top of the tank and a ceramic heater ontop of the middle of her tank. No coloured bulbs. We’re getting surface temps with a heat gun thingy. She is about 2 years old give or take.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so she has a basking bulb(thrive 100 watt) above her ramp ontop of the mesh(her basking spot) she has a uvb tube along the top of the tank and a ceramic heater ontop of the middle of her tank. No coloured bulbs. We’re getting surface temps with a heat gun thingy. She is about 2 years old give or take.
What is the brand of the UVB and the bulb T 5 or a T 8-- your screen makes a difference in where that UVB is placed along w/ distance-- the IR gun is good to have but the most accurate temps are taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- please get 2 of them place one on the cool side of the tank and the other on the basking side and get your surface basking temp - you can stick it on the side of the tank when done - IR guns cannot read off of certain materials and one is a hammock if your using that as a basking decor piece -- CHE's are also good to have if your tank is falling below 65 at nite -- temps at night should be 65-75 --- you want surface basking temps 95-100 for her - once all this is up to par and shes still doing this behavior I am gonna say its the weather- hows the appetite?

Zappier

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi sadie sorry for the bad response times, her appetite is good for meat not so much for greens, in other news we managed to get her temperatures more stable and she’s a bit more active now. I have question we changed her basking bulb to a 150 whatt bulb is that too much or perfect? She’s in a 40 gallon tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi sadie sorry for the bad response times, her appetite is good for meat not so much for greens, in other news we managed to get her temperatures more stable and she’s a bit more active now. I have question we changed her basking bulb to a 150 whatt bulb is that too much or perfect? She’s in a 40 gallon tank
The only way to know for sure is use a digital probe thermometer and it will tell you if your on par w/ surface basking temps - what about your UVB? This needs to be properly placed for the screen on the tank --- what are you feeding her? We need to get her to eat some salads -- I can try and help w/ that but I need to know what your feeding

Zappier

Bearded Dragon Egg
The only way to know for sure is use a digital probe thermometer and it will tell you if your on par w/ surface basking temps - what about your UVB? This needs to be properly placed for the screen on the tank --- what are you feeding her? We need to get her to eat some salads -- I can try and help w/ that but I need to know what your feeding
We use a tube uvb, it’s all properly placed. We are feeding her black fly larvae super worms and collard greens. The protein isn’t offered to her daily and the super worms even less

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We use a tube uvb, it’s all properly placed. We are feeding her black fly larvae super worms and collard greens. The protein isn’t offered to her daily and the super worms even less
What is the temp? Needs to surface basking temp taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- properly placed UVB can you tell me what that is please-- top of the tank? top of screen? How old is the dragon? Insects crickets BSFL dubia roaches or silk worms for a protein need to be fed 2-3 times per week for a adult dragon 1 yr and up --- under a year everyday -- super worms and horn worms for treats 1-3 times per week -- a few at a time - horn worms grow very fast and can be fed till gone every day -- they are a good hydrating worm

Zappier

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is the temp? Needs to surface basking temp taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- properly placed UVB can you tell me what that is please-- top of the tank? top of screen? How old is the dragon? Insects crickets BSFL dubia roaches or silk worms for a protein need to be fed 2-3 times per week for a adult dragon 1 yr and up --- under a year everyday -- super worms and horn worms for treats 1-3 times per week -- a few at a time - horn worms grow very fast and can be fed till gone every day -- they are a good hydrating worm
Ok great to know! The uvb is ontop of the screen. The basking spot is 125ish at the center point and around 100 everywhere else and the cool side is 70-75ish

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok great to know! The uvb is ontop of the screen. The basking spot is 125ish at the center point and around 100 everywhere else and the cool side is 70-75ish
the surface basking spot is too hot -- for a adult dragon it should be 95-100 these temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer --- stick ons are inaccurate -- the cool side of the tank should be 80ish during the day --- top of screen for the UVB if its a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank directly over a piece of basking decor -- wide holed type 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor

Zappier

Bearded Dragon Egg
the surface basking spot is too hot -- for a adult dragon it should be 95-100 these temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer --- stick ons are inaccurate -- the cool side of the tank should be 80ish during the day --- top of screen for the UVB if its a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank directly over a piece of basking decor -- wide holed type 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor
Oh hm sorry I thought it was hotter like 120. I’ll change the bulb back. And the uvb is on that kind of mesh

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh hm sorry I thought it was hotter like 120. I’ll change the bulb back. And the uvb is on that kind of mesh
Get your surface basking temps down to 95-100 make sure your getting that w/ a probe and placed where he sits for basking - what brand and bulb of uvb are you using - look on the bulb it will tell you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Get your surface basking temps down to 95-100 make sure your getting that w/ a probe and placed where he sits for basking - what brand and bulb of uvb are you using - look on the bulb it will tell you
Update on the dragon please

Latest posts