• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spikey Red Poo?!?!? Any advice?

Beardiesrock84

Hatchling Dragon
Hello Beardie land!!! Sorry I haven't been on in awhile :( I've been super busy with school and work, I hardly ever even touch my computer lately. I did however pick it up today to do some research. I am trying to find answers and can't really seem to find any. I am curious what is in Gordo's poop. I know it's gross, but I'm also studying to be a Registered Vet Tech, and we are actually doing parasitology at school right now. So I volunteered to bring in a sample of my beardie's stool for the class to look at under the microscope. I know they normally have coccidia in their system, so it will be a fun experience for the 'baby vet tech's'.
Well about 3 weeks ago, I noticed Gordo not pooping in his tank as he usually does. So I soaked him because it had been about a week since he had a bowel movement. When I did, the urate had a bit of red in it and was very hard, I thought, well now he will feel better. Well, he hasn't been pooping on his own, I am having to soak him at least twice a week for him to have a bowel movement. I just soaked him again to take the sample into school, and this time, it was once again red, but there was a bit more, and was hard with spikes on it?!?!? I'm a little worried now. I know a reptile vet and I am taking him or at least the stool on friday, but I was curious if anyone knew what this might be? I took a picture and hopefully I can get it on here. If anyone knows anything I would be very thankful!! My poor little rescue guy.
It has been very hot here in Sacramento lately during the day, so I have been turning his actual heat lamp off sometimes due to it gets to 106 degrees in his tank AND in my room during the day. He has his UVB light, and his tank is usually always between 85 and 95. I'm curious if that might have something to do with it. He is also eating fine. No changes in his diet. I feed him about 15 crickets a day, and he gets spinach or romaine, green beans, green and yellow squash, carrots every other few days, and grapes randomly. Sometimes I will give him strawberries as a treat but I haven't given him any in like 2 months if not more.
Please if any one can give me any advice on "spikey red poo" I would appreciate it.
Thank you!
photo (4).JPG
photo (2).JPG

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree that it should be Vet checked, I would suggest sooner than Friday, if at all possible as that really appears to be blood in it's stool, never a good sign & should be taken care of asap.

Beardiesrock84

Hatchling Dragon
Is it always that spiky looking when it's blood? To me, it looks like tissue of some sort, and that is also why I am so concerned. I have experience with blood in cat and dog stool, just not beardie :(

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, That is in the urate and a deep sign of needing more means of hydration. The lack of hydration will cause parts of the urate to become a deep orange almost looking red. Solution: Depending on age for frequency, you need to start soaking your dragon and offering greens more often.

Improper means of hydration will ultimately kill your dragon. Organs will start simply shutting down. A deep orange like that is not good showing for the kidneys.

The feces and urate does not have any blood within it.

Edit to also help the kidneys: I dont know your supplementation practices but i would pick up some plain phosphorus free calcium and use it at most feedings. Use the calcium with D3 once every two weeks.

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Is it a sperm plug? Looks kind of like one. But what do I know lol.
But as suggested dude, get to the vets :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Latest posts