• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spikes weight in brumation.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spike has been in brumation since the end of October....pushing 3 months. I weighed him this morning and it was 2 OUNCES! I think the grams were around 100. Is this normal? His belly was cool which didn't concern me too much. His temp has been around 65 degrees day and night. No lights on and he dug a hole in the back corner and appears to be doing fine? Anything to worry about??

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
2 oz is only 57g, this does not sound accurate :confused: . Does he appear to have lost any significant amount of weight since he started his brumation? He did start brumating much earlier than most ...

Pat B

Super Moderator
He was only about 10 months when he decided to go into his 'winter sleep'. Surprised me as I had read it is unusual for a beardie less than a year. But....as you know....Spike is cut from a different cloth and has an attitude!! I don't remember what he weighed when he went to sleep....can't find my notes. I will weigh him again....maybe tomorrow. I used a Walmart kitchen scale....maybe that is the problem! :D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is all I use, too. This is the one that I use ...

Sandyweight004.jpg

Just an 'Itty-Bitty' Baby lol -- :eek: ;)

756g=26oz=1.6lb

Pat B

Super Moderator
Geez-o-pete! That must be Vasuki you are showing off!! LOL!! He is not a chunky monkey he is a chunk gorilla!! :D

Pat B

Super Moderator
Hey Germ....I read the directions on the box and I did weigh him wrong!! DUH!! So i re-weighed the little boy with and attitude and he is about 8 ounces. That would make him about 450g? That is still tiny for a year old beardie! I am hoping when he decides to wake him he will have a voracious appetite and eat everything I give him!! :D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
8 oz is 227g

The pic is not of Vasuki, but of Vasuki, Falkor & Saphira's Mom, Sandy being weighed. Both Sandy & Dinah, females, would break the 700g mark & were 20+" long.

Hope he wakes soon for you.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Is the weight OK considering he is in brumation? He didn't like being re-weighed this morning....he opened his mouth which he rarely does....:rolleyes:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If that was around the weight that he started brumating at, or if you didn't weigh him before, if he does not appear to have lost a drastic amount of weight since, he should be just fine.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Pat, I would venture to say your kid is ok. 227g is a good weight for a average young adult. Like germ said, "If that was around the weight that he started brumating at, or if you didn't weigh him before, if he does not appear to have lost a drastic amount of weight since, he should be just fine."

Germs girl is just a beast. A 20+ inch, 736 gram female without eggs is a monster female. Definitely not typical :) Typical healthy adult females weigh right around 350 on the small side and 450 grams on the average side. It not to uncommon for 500- 600 grams and at this weight would typically be classified as a large female.

Latest posts