• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spike twitching uncontrollably?

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well, the title says it all. spike has been twitching when i go to pet his head and when he gets in the bath, he wll go CRAZY twitching and like spazing. i am getting REALLY worried. you guys know what is going on with him? any idea at all? and i will take him to the vet if i need to!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he is just twitching because he doesn't like his bath that is one thing, but if he is twitching all the time....completely different. You do need to get him to the vet immediately. Sounds like it could be a calcium deficiency or MBD. There are a couple other things it could be also. Is is just his hind legs or all? Either way, a vet appointment asap is in order.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yip Id see a vet too. Please ;et us know how Spike does

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As Lisa asks, I'd like to know if it is a constant twitch or just when you go to pick him up?

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
it is constant. i am taking him to the vet right now, i will get back to u guys in a while!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Did you take him last night? How did it go?

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
the vet said he had a calcium disorder and that is could be cured by using calcium more often with him and with an oral injection of some apparently yummy supplements. He LOVED the taste of the injection lol. i thought he would try with al his might to spit it out. well, i hope that the calcium disorder will fade as i raise his calcium consumption.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
oh well that is good that he is accepting his medicine, yay hope he recovers realy quickly!

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
meeee too! thanks guys. Oh and my friends mom died on friday in a car accident on his birthday. pray for him :(

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad that the vets went well. Sorry about your friend's loss.
Just a few quick questions concerning your everyday calcium use.
1. what uvb and % are you using?
2. what calcium supplement WERE you using on a daily basis?
3. what multi vitamin were you using?
4. what greens are you feeding?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hope Spike feels better really soon.

And sorry for your friends loss.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad things seem to be able to be remedied with Spike. So, sorry to hear about your loss. Sudden tragedies are difficult for us.

I think Lisa brings up some good questions.

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok my uvb is 10.0
my supplement i was using was flukers calcium ( cant remember the rest) i threw it away
i was not using a multi vitamin
and i feed him bell peppers, squash every two days, collards, occasionaly parsley.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you mean the ReptiSun 10.0 tube? Also, how old is your UV light?

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yes i mean the reptisun 10.0 tube. i change my light out every four to nine months, this one is about two months old.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't recommend Flukers anything. Since you are having a problem with calcium I would suggest a product called Absolute Calcium. It is a great supplement. It is made by the same guy who makes Parazap. If you go to www.parazap.com you can get it. I used it for Spyro and it was great. So along with calicum daily and the supplement that the doctor gave you, you should be using a multi vitamin 2x a week. As for greens...not a bad array, but using a more varied diet with greens is good. Collards, swiss chard, escarole, bok choy, chicory and some good ones. There are many more.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it somtimes ok to feed the calcium supplement primarily via the greens? I have been using Zilla calcium spray here recently on rex's food to see if he doesnt mind it.

Latest posts