• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spike is AWAKE!!

Pat B

Super Moderator
After brumating for almost 4 months my little sleeper has been awake now for about 3 days. I have removed his hammock and all the silky vines I had in his viv. He is not a happy boy. He has eaten very little if any. I think he might be dehydrated because his skin is saggy. Should I give him a warm bath? I am doing 'tough love' and giving him greens and a few mealies. Hasn't eaten the mealies although I think he might have eaten 2 crickets. Am I doing the right thing? I think he needs to adjust to being a beardie again. He has been active during the day and then about 4 pm climbs into a corner, puts his belly to the glass and goes to sleep on his hind legs. Looks very uncomfortable to me!! Oh....and I haven't weighed him yet just not too sure if I should handle him or not.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, you most definitely should give him a warm soak. As far as feeding, go back to your regular schedule & diet. You should also be able to go back to regular handling activity, now.

Yes, BDs most definitely can sleep in what looks to us, the most painful\uncomfortable positions. ;)

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well Pat; Glad to hear Spike is awake-it will be company for you now. Yes, as Germ; said go back to his regular routine.Yesterday, i wondered what happened myself as 'LiL' Beauty' was on the cool side most of the day and none of my babies ate breakfast at all. But by supper time they all ate veggies and no crix; until about 6-pm. last night.Maybe the weather as it was very cold yesterday.So i will see today how they eat.Pat; Is he running around his tank?? bella

Pat B

Super Moderator
He will wonder around his tank sort of during the day. Yesterday he spent a lot of time on his basking spot. I think he was looking for his hammock which i took down. He needs a new one. I will give a good warm soaking this morning and see if he likes that. He is a stubborn little boy. I am trying to get him to eat his greens....it is called tough love so we shall see who wins!! Good to hear from you....hope all your babies are doing well!!

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Pat; I am down to 3-now; "Zuess went to his forever home yesterday and Retro went with my friend of the family who has loved him forever since i first got him. So i am left with my super red leather back-'Lil' 'Beauty' and my new 'Marcedes'=red baby just beautiful. At present there may be 1-rehome i will be doing and that is super red leather back-as she is very un-handable but i'm still trying with her and had her awhile and she just hates being touched at all!!! The most she will let me do is stroke her head-simply because she is itchy and wants to be scratched lol. Weird little dragon. Eats very good and sometimes will hand feed but mostly don't want to be bothered at all. I really don't think she was handled at all before i got her. So tonight i will put her into a bigger tank as she is big and still growing [almost daily[lol] it seems that way.The friend that took 'Zuess' wanted a dragon so bad but didn't want any but little 'Zuess'=not so little any more-measures at least 10-12-inches tipicle male large size.So i waited until he done all his 'Zuess' shopping and he took him home last night and just loves,loves, him as i do. But i knew i would not keep him as all i wanted was to start him out better then that crazy women who gave him to me[just to rid herself of the little man] So i think i helped him to grow into the little[Big] man that he is-and i know he will be the happiest big man he can be.My friend thinks there is no other like him.-He is very unique little dragon.And my new baby 'Marcedes is very unique and colouring is just remarkable. I am going to post a pic of her when finished shedding. She is red and white. Just beautiful and loves to be handled, and loves her bath, food, and her little hammock.she had a brother as well-same colouring, but not 2-for me-i am trying to just keep 2-3-dragons until another one needs help-[ha ha] Will update soon =And hi Germ; bella-aka-river-7

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Pat; Did 'Spike' have his bath?? And a little 'Mommie' love??Did 'Mommie order him a new hammock?? I guess he's wondering where it is. Glad the little one is awake and started to cause you problems. Did he eat his greens or did 'Mommie give in?? [ha ha] Hi; Germ; again i'm glad your'e around to jump in some posts lol. Bella

Pat B

Super Moderator
I did give Spike a warm soak but not for very long. He didn't like it but he will have to get used to it. He got some 'love' but not too sure he remembers what it is!! :D
He doesn't eat his greens which drives me nuts. However, he did eat some crickets yesterday. I am just waiting for him to give me a poop but I don't think his tummy is full enough. He definitely has an attitude and wants to be the alpha!! So....I will let him be an alpha and yes I gave in and he got his crickets! I just need to find an online place to order crix from as the pet store isn't very close. I am just not so sure if I order a bunch they will survive. I guess I won't know until I give it a try! Good to have you back....hope your babies are well!

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Pat; A lot i see order from Mulberry Farms i think it's called and i would order 200-300-and see how they are first and then maybe a few more. I always get 200-300-at once as they don't last that long with my babies but with one baby or if you have others that eat crix;should last a bite of time. I just gutload the crix; and feed off. But it's so much easier for me as the shop is not far from me -I think about 10-minute drive to pick up.and they always gutload their crix; before we buy them-So if neccessary you can dust and feed right away and that's what i like.Shop and go so to speak.I don't know what place would be close to you to order with no shipping charges or very little charges and i'm sure someone will chime in that knows the area you are in better then i do.Pat have you tried green beans and squash finely grated for spike to try and eat-that seems to be a winner for fussy little dragons or some grated carrott on top?? Might work seeing as he just woke up and may not remember he don't like greens.Worth a try. Good Luck Pat; Bella

Pat B

Super Moderator
He walked thru his greens yesterday.... Wonder is the badboy was sending me a message!! I did get poop today so I know that is working. He seems more settled today.... Basking spot and he did eat a few Crux. another warm soak tomorrow. H weighs any 202 grams. Don't know if that is good or not

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's great news! Looks like he's the same old dragon before he went to sleep! LOL! Mine pooped in her food dish this morning. So I guess she didn't want it this morning, but she ate like a piggy this evening. LOL!

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
i wish my dragon drossk would wake up. He will only wake up and eat if i pick him up and hold him for like an hour first in the mornings. I don't normally have time to do that though. i work midnights so i get home at 830 am and I'm just dead tired. If i don't lay down to sleep as soon as i get home i wont go to sleep till like 3 pm. so its hard for me to have some cuddle time with him in the mornings.

Pat B

Super Moderator
He may want to brumate. Spike went down for almost 4 months and it was suggested I wake him up so I did. He was sort of awake for about 10 days but then he crawled back up into his hammock and wouldn't' eat, poop, or do anything. So I turned his lights back off and he is still sleeping. Brumation is sort of scary but I just got the mindset that he knew what he needed best! One day when you come home just let your beardie be and see what he does. Not all beardies will brumate that is why we do the light stuff but then some do and my Spike was under a year which is really unusual. If he stays sleeping in the same spot for a couple of days turn off his lights and let him sleep. They are strange little creatures that always cause their owners so much darn worry!! Good luck and keep us posted....:rolleyes:

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
Mine has been doin this for I think 4 or 5ish months now too. I give him a bath once a week just to make sure he's getting some water. Sadly he started doing this about 15 days or so after I got him. So I have never really seen him up and about. Hoping to see him acting "normal" soon.

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Mine has been doin this for I think 4 or 5ish months now too. I give him a bath once a week just to make sure he's getting some water. Sadly he started doing this about 15 days or so after I got him. So I have never really seen him up and about. Hoping to see him acting "normal" soon.

I'm in a very similar situation and agree it can be worrying.
Mine is being stubborn to, I think it's a beardie thing :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
I don't worry about Spike. I don't hydrate him or have any lights on. Spike is very stubborn and very much an 'alpha' beardie. He is going to do what he wants!! So I let him. I just figure he knows what he needs more than I do. I do check him every couple of days to make sure he is breathing!! :confused:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sure he'll be up in no time when he senses Spring! Whisper in his little ear and tell him, "Hey Buddy Boy! Spring's here! Wakey Wakey, Sleeping Beauty!" LOL.

Latest posts