• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spike hasnt eati f in 3 months or longer :( not sure what to expect.

RollDb

Bearded Dragon Egg
We adopted spike from a family 3 months ago. Shes 2years old and when we got her she was 450grams. She ate once since being with us, which was a day after bringing her home. She hasnt touched her daily salad, if she has we havent noticed much gone or eaten. She's not interested in crix or superworms anymore. The temps have been checked regularly. She's bathed every other day. If I put a hornworm (her favorite) in her terrarium she'll eat it like no tomorrow. With the no eating shes only lost maybe 50-70grams shes going to the vet to be weighed again soon. She has an actual appointment on the 19 of Feb. She doesn't poop unless shes eatena couple hornworms. Then her poops look normal. Nothung out of the ordinary with her, shes active whens she out. She lays on her cool sode opposed to her warm side or basking lamp. Sometimes she'll gape with no heat source. She also digs quite a bit. Any help would be great, my girlfriend is freaking out and giving me a hard time... thanks in advance.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

RollDb

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will get all the stats about the terrarium and temps.... after I get home from work. I'll also post some HD pics.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Man it could be a few things.

1. Not all dragons "Sleep" during brumation. When they go through this period while being awake and semi active they do lose weight as opposed if they were to actually sleep.They will dig looking for a place to lay or sleep.

2. If she is not in brumation it could be that her bodies chemistry is off. This could be from over supplementing, under supplementing, improper gut loading, abuse of fatty feeders like super worms, meal worms or waxworms (using them as a staple), improper uvb and temps/.

3. It is possible she had eggs, didnt have a place to lay and is now re absorbing them. This is really hard on a female and sometimes can take her life. IF they do re absorb them they do typically go off of food for an extended amount of time. The only things you can do for her is to keep hydrating her and if she is eating horn worms keep giving them to her and even try silk worms.

RollDb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the reply Gillies. I have been putting it off as a type of brumation. It's been around 2 months, I lied. Looking back we got her november 18, she ate a decent meal the first day, then not alot after that. She had two horn worms 2 weeks ago, and left a mighty stool. She was at the vet 1 month ago and she said she seems healthy. She also informed us that Spike was a girl... the family we got her off said she was a he. Although I'm not 100% myself, I'll have to learn to check for myself. It is frigid outside seeing as I'm in central Canada, -40c outside. The house stays warm, her temps are 108f in the basking spot and around 84f on the cool side. When we brought her home it was the beginning of the cold season. We kept her warm on the ride home. I think that's what put her in this brumating state. We take her out and bathe her every second day so she's hydrated. But I g2g I'll be back tomorrow to check in.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I don't take Spike out for hydration....should I? I have just let him sleep the time away until he decides to wake up.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he wakes on his own, then give a soak, Pat. I don't bother them at all while in Brumation unless they start moving on their own, then turn the lights on to their regular schedule, then a warm soak, offer some food. It may or may not eat. If it decides to go back into brumation, turn the lights out again after a couple days. Definitely not required, nor is it a good thing, IMHO to be waking them every couple of days for a soak. A soak every 2 days is too often for a BD not in brumation.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't take Spike out for hydration....should I? I have just let him sleep the time away until he decides to wake up.
Hi, If your spike is in a deep sleep i would just leave him be but if he does open his eyes. Once a week is sufficient. You dont have to soak if you dont want to. You can get a dropper and drop a little water on the noes. If they are thirsty they will start drinking.

Latest posts