• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Something stuck in vent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,
Has anyone seen anything like this before?(I will attach photos and I have contacted my vet)
Ziggy my 9 year old beardie tried to poop in the bath 2 days ago and this appeared. I thought it was just stuck poop, he's shedding at the moment, but he has pooped in his bath just now and it's still there.
I am taking him to the vets on Monday but I just wondered if anyone knows what it is or if there is anything I can do for him in the meantime. He's eating, drinking, pooping and passing urate I have attached pic of tank as well. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome he's no spring chicken and I'm really worried. TIA

Attachments

• 20210821_161052.jpg
    20210821_161052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
  • 20210821_161043.jpg
    20210821_161043.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • 20210821_161039.jpg
    20210821_161039.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
  • 16295590160325310079086120524197.jpg
    16295590160325310079086120524197.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 157

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone,
Has anyone seen anything like this before?(I will attach photos and I have contacted my vet)
Ziggy my 9 year old beardie tried to poop in the bath 2 days ago and this appeared. I thought it was just stuck poop, he's shedding at the moment, but he has pooped in his bath just now and it's still there.
I am taking him to the vets on Monday but I just wondered if anyone knows what it is or if there is anything I can do for him in the meantime. He's eating, drinking, pooping and passing urate I have attached pic of tank as well. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome he's no spring chicken and I'm really worried. TIA
I agree it looks like part of a sperm plug -- I would get it out if you can and please give him a good bath

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, it was a sperm plug and I have removed it. Thank you so much. I'm now worried about him looking filthy as he baths every 1 - 2 days. Is there anything else I can do other than bathe him to help him??
Is he a messy eater? The carpet I would change out to some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- cut to the size of your tank you can get it a Walmart or your local home improvement store- that might help w/ the keeping him clean--- they should not be bathed so often - it tends to dry the scales out--- you can use some non scented baby shampoo in the bath- clean the shelf liner w/ vinegar and water 50 50

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is he a messy eater? The carpet I would change out to some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- cut to the size of your tank you can get it a Walmart or your local home improvement store- that might help w/ the keeping him clean--- they should not be bathed so often - it tends to dry the scales out--- you can use some non scented baby shampoo in the bath- clean the shelf liner w/ vinegar and water 50 50
Hi there. I'm in the UK but I have recently got some ceramic tiles that I am going to put in the bottom of his tank. I will reduce the baths but he really loves them so how many can I get away with each week?? Again thank you xxx also he is 10 very soon is there any reason I haven't seen a sperm plug before he would also like to say hello and thank you xx

Attachments

• 16295613323385791500668824665737.jpg
    16295613323385791500668824665737.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also yes he's a very messy eater, gets everywhere!! I will try the baby shampoo thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there. I'm in the UK but I have recently got some ceramic tiles that I am going to put in the bottom of his tank. I will reduce the baths but he really loves them so how many can I get away with each week?? Again thank you xxx also he is 10 very soon is there any reason I haven't seen a sperm plug before he would also like to say hello and thank you xx
Try the baby shampoo and changing the carpet out - and go from there w/ the bathing-- make sure the tile is slated w/ some texture no real rough / coarse stuff- it will cause abrasions if it's too rough-

Bearded Dragon Egg
Try the baby shampoo and changing the carpet out - and go from there w/ the bathing-- make sure the tile is slated w/ some texture no real rough / coarse stuff- it will cause abrasions if it's too rough-
Thank you

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, it was a sperm plug and I have removed it. Thank you so much. I'm now worried about him looking filthy as he baths every 1 - 2 days. Is there anything else I can do other than bathe him to help him??
Oh im so glad!! For cleaning him get a toothbrush and go side to side when scrubbing him down or go WITH the scales, it could be old discolored shed, their vents being clean is really really important.

dawn newby

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh im so glad!! For cleaning him get a toothbrush and go side to side when scrubbing him down or go WITH the scales, it could be old discolored shed, their vents being clean is really really important.
Me too. Thank you so much!! I was so worried it was a prolapse! I will give him a good gentle clean with a toothbrush and baby shampoo although I'd prefer to use something like coconut oil would this be ok??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I dont know about the coconut oil I would stick w/ the non scented baby shampoo ---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are dirty and he can be soaked in a bath w/ betadine solution make it look like a weak tea - soak for 10-15 minutes and it could take a few soaks till they are good and soft then gently squeeze they should come un plugged -

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I dont know about the coconut oil I would stick w/ the non scented baby shampoo ---
My vet recommends mineral oil or food grade aloe vera gel. If you’re bathing often, it also helps keep skin and scales from drying out if you put a teaspoon in the bath, and won’t hurt him if he eats it.

dawn newby

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My vet recommends mineral oil or food grade aloe vera gel. If you’re bathing often, it also helps keep skin and scales from drying out if you put a teaspoon in the bath, and won’t hurt him if he eats it.
This is great thank you

Latest posts