• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Something in eye?

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think there may be something in my beardie jesse's eye, she has always had a problem with bulging, we've done blood tests and my herp vet said it was definitely not normal, with its not related to shedding. She could never find anything wrong with her health wise so she was stumped on what it was. But lately she has started to rub it on things, and I think there may be something in her eye. Do you think I should flush it out, and if yes then how abouts should I do that?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Can u go over your lighting, diet, supplements, and substrate, please for us, (coil bulbs are very bad for your beardies eyes) “exotic vets” can be hit or miss sometimes, id look around for another one and see what ur options are, ur current vet should of done more than just look at it and take blood, u can flush it out yourself, theres a special eye drops you need to use, u CANT use regular human eye drops(theres an ingredient in it thats not good) i cant remember off the top of my head the brand, a simple goggle search should yeild results, if u can get someone to help you itd be way easier.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think there may be something in my beardie jesse's eye, she has always had a problem with bulging, we've done blood tests and my herp vet said it was definitely not normal, with its not related to shedding. She could never find anything wrong with her health wise so she was stumped on what it was. But lately she has started to rub it on things, and I think there may be something in her eye. Do you think I should flush it out, and if yes then how abouts should I do that?
Please post a pic of the eye --- you can get some regular saline solution NO contact lenses stuff -- rinse the eye -- are you sure its not shed? Post a pic of it please

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can u go over your lighting, diet, supplements, and substrate, please for us, (coil bulbs are very bad for your beardies eyes) “exotic vets” can be hit or miss sometimes, id look around for another one and see what ur options are, ur current vet should of done more than just look at it and take blood, u can flush it out yourself, theres a special eye drops you need to use, u CANT use regular human eye drops(theres an ingredient in it thats not good) i cant remember off the top of my head the brand, a simple goggle search should yeild results, if u can get someone to help you itd be way easier.
Well, I upgraded when I got the money to a reptisun t5 24" inch uvb, use a zilla 8.5 fixture with a 125w heat bulb. My vet said it could be eye damage from using coils for so long but like I said they don't know. Her diet is pretty normal, leafy greens, collard greens, bok choy, kale, crickets, super worms, ect, can't get dubia because I'm in florida but I'm looking into discoid roaches. I do not use substrate as I know she could eat it or it could get in her eyes. I use a Zen Mat 4'x2' because I use their 120 gallon enclosure. Supplements, well calcium no d3 every other feeding, and I also give her zoo med's reptivite on a 1-2 week basis though maybe I should use it more. I do not have any other vets nearby, and like I said this has been going on for almost a year now, sometimes its there sometimes its not, usually happens daily and it disappears pretty fast.

Attachments

• 1613776933034.png
    1613776933034.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 36

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well, I upgraded when I got the money to a reptisun t5 24" inch uvb, use a zilla 8.5 fixture with a 125w heat bulb. My vet said it could be eye damage from using coils for so long but like I said they don't know. Her diet is pretty normal, leafy greens, collard greens, bok choy, kale, crickets, super worms, ect, can't get dubia because I'm in florida but I'm looking into discoid roaches. I do not use substrate as I know she could eat it or it could get in her eyes. I use a Zen Mat 4'x2' because I use their 120 gallon enclosure. Supplements, well calcium no d3 every other feeding, and I also give her zoo med's reptivite on a 1-2 week basis though maybe I should use it more. I do not have any other vets nearby, and like I said this has been going on for almost a year now, sometimes its there sometimes its not, usually happens daily and it disappears pretty fast.
She gave me special idrops but when I used them, it made her eyes flare up more and looked extremely painful so I stopped after telling her.

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post a pic of the eye --- you can get some regular saline solution NO contact lenses stuff -- rinse the eye -- are you sure its not shed? Post a pic of it please
I'm very sure it's not shed. It's been ongoing for a year now, maybe a little more. Vet said it wasn't shed either because it happens usually when shes not in the heat, or under different lighting. We're not sure what the catalyst is specifically but we're pretty sure its one of those two, but who knows. I posted a pic of the eye above in my first response, it gets like that or sometimes very swole. I'll try to catch a picture of it today when it happens, shes just chilling right now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm very sure it's not shed. It's been ongoing for a year now, maybe a little more. Vet said it wasn't shed either because it happens usually when shes not in the heat, or under different lighting. We're not sure what the catalyst is specifically but we're pretty sure its one of those two, but who knows. I posted a pic of the eye above in my first response, it gets like that or sometimes very swole. I'll try to catch a picture of it today when it happens, shes just chilling right now.
Yes she definitely has eye issues--- are you using any colored bulbs? And how long did you have the coil for? The UVB is a good one - where do you have it in the tank ---? Top of screen or inside? The placement and distance is crucial --

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes she definitely has eye issues--- are you using any colored bulbs? And how long did you have the coil for? The UVB is a good one - where do you have it in the tank ---? Top of screen or inside? The placement and distance is crucial --
No, just a regular repti basking spot light, I know colored lights are bad. The lights are on top of the screen, I'll post a pic here. Her eyes are only like that, for maybe am minute or two, sometimes less.

Attachments

• 1613788083272.png
    1613788083272.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 1613788139192.png
    1613788139192.png
    20.6 MB · Views: 36

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Beardies do puff out their eyes when shedding , but it does Look like she’s shedding to me :( , is there any kind of other stimulation that’s happening other than the lights?

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If it helps my beardie does this sometimes when she’s basking. Not as pronounced as this though but I did talk to my vet and she said it could be a behavioural thing and that I shouldn’t worry about it. Hope this helps a bit

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I ment to write doesn’t instead of does , Do you mist her? She could just be stretching , my beardie has a whole morning yoga session before she climbs underneath her light to lastly stretch out her beard , i will say its very odd that she does this , next time she does it if possible can you get a before during and after picture?

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
I do not mist, because the humidity in my house in florida will make the humidity go too high. I give her baths every two weeks or so but she does not enjoy them. She does it a lot when I turn the lights off, when shes going to bed. I tested if it was because of her bed but even left in her tank she does it when the lights are off.

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
I also want to point out that it does not happen very long, but sadie pointed me to another forum to ask and they've given me a few things on what it could be, all bad, but I'm hoping the best.

Latest posts