• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

social or not

inky22

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Background: behaviors, "languages" and origins
Bearded Dragons get their name from their ability to "puff out" a throat pouch that has prominent spikes formed from modified scales. This "beard" can also change color, becoming jet black and even more impressive. Beards are not limited to males; the females will show off their beards as well, in a very interactive communication. Indeed, bearded dragons are very social animals. They have a rich gestural language, bobbing their heads at one another (watch video), gaping their mouths, flattening their bodies and tilting as they circle one another ("see how big I am!"), swishing their tails, using their tongue to check each other or their environment out, etc. They even have a variety of submissive gestures. For instance, both sexes will raise one arm and hold it stationary or slowly wave it in circles (watch video), evidently to signal "hey, its ME, stop harassing me, I'm harmless!" They rapidly establish a hierarchy and adapt to their caretakers, so the more extreme aggressive gestures become rare in captivity (unless you give them new territory to conquer). They are very curious and love being let out to investigate.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/ktosney/file/BDcare.html#Anchor-Herpetoculture-49575
1 bit of info i got

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When they say social, they don't mean it in the context you may think. Yes, dragons are social, with humans and yes they interact with other dragons but only in the form of dominant and submissive behaviors. Smaller species of bearded dragons like the lawsons/rankins dragon IS social with others of its kind in a large enough space. Our kind however is not.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bearded dragons in the wild can and will be social and can live in socialized groups but this is in the WILD not a 2ft by 3 ft cage that we put them in where they are forced to live in extremely close quarters. You seem to be mistaking what an animal will do in a endless environment with what it will do in a extremely enclosed setting. For your to successfully house 2 males together where they would both thrive and have a lowered chance of killing each other you would literally need a tank the size of a room in a house. Bearded dragons in the wild, if need be, can run very far away from a "dominant" male. in captivity they can go a few feet and guess what the dominant male is still right there. Now if that doesnt seem like the definition of a ticking time bomb to you than you need to sit down and rethink a lot of things. Anyway I am off my soap box.

Latest posts