• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Social Bobbing

Solucki

Hatchling Dragon
I have had my beardie max for about 6-7 month and he's about 10 months old. I know about the typical behaviors(wave, bob, black beard, tail curl) I've noticed him doing a chin jut type behavior. He'll puff out his beard(not blackened) and nod like he's saying yes or "sup dude"
I've heard it's a social bob but was wondering what it could mean? I was preparing lunch when he did it last, could he just be saying he's hungry? Or begging?
Also, Does licking mean anything?
Or closing his eyes while petting?
I'm trying to understand him better and I thought I'd ask some long time keepers for some insight.
I was wondering, I have never seen him wave, is that reserved for more submissive beardies. He's more of an alpha type but very friendly.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A head bob's the sign of dominance among dragons. Male or female. Mine hasn't headbobbed, but she does puff out her beard to stretch it out during a shed or a good bask.

Licking means he's tasting the air and items in his tank.

Mine closes her eyes when she gets petted.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, His beard will typically blacken for dominance. During mating often the beard will come out with normal resting colors. I think he may like you.
Licking? I know they will taste different things they are curious of.
Eye closing is normal for a content dragon that trusts you.

Solucki

Hatchling Dragon
Now he's gaping his mouth at me. Looking at me then opening his mouth wide. I have him out of his cage just hanging with me.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
He is smiling at you...... LOL J/K, couldn't resist. No gaping is normal. He may feel threatened by something. Could be something else. Mine gapes after bath time because he is upset he is wet and cold. So he gapes, puffs up and lays on his rock like the Marshmallow Man all puffed out for the next 30 minutes. His reason is cold.... sometimes he does it when he is hot because that's how they cool off too. Check your basking temps since I said that.

Mattalie

Juvenile Dragon
I have had my beardie max for about 6-7 month and he's about 10 months old. I know about the typical behaviors(wave, bob, black beard, tail curl) I've noticed him doing a chin jut type behavior. He'll puff out his beard(not blackened) and nod like he's saying yes or "sup dude"
I've heard it's a social bob but was wondering what it could mean? I was preparing lunch when he did it last, could he just be saying he's hungry? Or begging?
Also, Does licking mean anything?
Or closing his eyes while petting?
I'm trying to understand him better and I thought I'd ask some long time keepers for some insight.
I was wondering, I have never seen him wave, is that reserved for more submissive beardies. He's more of an alpha type but very friendly.
These people are mostly correct. Beardies have a gland on the roof of their mouth calle the Jacobsons gland. Its like their seventh sense. The sixth being their "third eye". They lick things to figure out their surroundings, whats food and whats not, and out of pure curiosity. When they lick things they rub their tongue on the roof of their mouth and it helps them figure stuff out. Alot like when we are children and like to touch everything. And yes when they bask they open their mouths to regulate the body temperature they need to digest food.

Last edited:

Latest posts