• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Soaking/bathing help please

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
So Puff is still pretty iffy about being out of her tank. I have never soaked her as of yet but I be sure to spray her (I am very careful to not get her nose/face) I just bring the spray bottle very close to her and soak legs and body. I know we need to start bathing because it would be much more effective but she doesnt seem to be very fond of the water and im afraid shell freak out if I set her in water. What is the best method for soaking her??

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
IDK about anyone else but with Banyon I just started slow. Filled the tub with fairly warm water and with one hand under him and one hand on top, slowly lowered him in. If he started freaking it usually meant the temp was wrong. Began with just submerging his tail and hind end then after a few times submerged more of him. Just take it slow..you want bathtime to be fun for him :) Always always keep your hand close or under him (so he feels nice and safe) and level of water shouldnt be past his shoulders. Even when he begins enjoying bathtime never leave a dragon unattended good luck and hope yours learns to love his warm soaks :)

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you for the advice! Tonight we're gonna give it a try, ill let you know how it goes

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
You mentioned that Puff (adorable name by the way) is iffy about being out of her tank...when Banyon was little I carried him on my chest with one or both hands over him everywhere. We walked around the house..out to get the mail..I just held him as much as possible. Actually, my neighbors dubbed him my "boob lizard" because with him on my chest, and my hand on top of him, it looked like I was holding myself all the time (with a long tail hanging out) LOL

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
Love that idea! I couldnt even get Puff in the tub last night. The second she sees shes leaving the tank she gets super tense and sometimes tries to hop back in. Last night she got tense when we left the tank so I cupped her in my hands and walked around the house but when I started to lower her into the tub she started using her tail like she need to balance and trying to crawl up my arm. Ugh I just want her to feel comfortable with me! I feel like were making progress though!

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
How old is Puff? Try holding her against your body with your hands cupped on top of her back and her rear end area. Her belly right against your chest. I think Banyon liked being against my body heat and that helped him feel comfy. All you can do is keep taking it slow. I've never found a good way of "rushing" affection lol. Maybe put your arm at a 45 degree angle when lowering her into the tub so its harder for her to crawl past your elbow? Keep the water level very low so she can touch bottom and the water only covers her feet for now?

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
Puffs going to be 6 months in 3 days. Im dying to get off work so I can go home and give this a try!

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
Puff had a great day today! Its her 6 month birthday today too. Today we had our first bath. She finally got to the point where she started to relax and enjoy the warm water. After her bath we dried off and I put her on my shirt. She hung there (I held her back with my hand) for 2 hours. We walked around the house, watched tv, watched my boyfriend play diablo. I was so proud of her. After a few hours she started to get nervous about my dog walking around (shes a 4 pound chihuauha) so I got Puff back into her tank. Tonight shes enjoying some dubia roaches and basking and lights out is in about 15 mins. Just thought id share our day!! (Of course it comes with pictures!)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387070002605.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387070002605.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 34
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387070023648.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387070023648.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387070038683.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387070038683.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 33

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
That is so awesome!! Great job Puff!! Im so happy to hear the two of you walking around the house spending quality time and enjoying bathtime keep it up :) The pics are great thanks for sharing!

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much for the shirt idea! I would have never thought of letting her hang vs being on a shoulder or something! She seemed to love it. She even closed her eyes and napped for a bit while we watched tv. My day was absolutely made!

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Glad you shared a great birthday with her!!:) Puff is just as big as Banyon and he's almost twice her age I'm gonna have to get some dubias going! (If he ever starts eating/ pooping/ basking willingly) Calling the vet tomorrow. Maybe she can palpate him and feel if anything's wrong? Sorry, this is the wrong thread to talk about Banyons issues i guess I'm rambling again. Keep it up I hear if they're closing their eyes or fall asleep with one of their front legs kinda "thrown backwards" it means they're nice and relaxed. She is beautiful, the dark pic is really cool looks professionally done or something. :) This forum has a pic of the month thing you know... just follow the rules might be kinda cool!

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
Puff loves her dubia, she gets so excited when she sees the tub come out. When I first got her she ate crickets and a few weeks later she started on lobster roaches and loved them but since they can climb glass theyd easily get out of her reach and drove her crazy and they were hard for me to keep contained. Dubia have been her favorite by far. I still keep some crickets for my fat tailed gecko but Puff will only show interest in them about once a week.
I hope Banyon gets better! Let me know what you find out from the vet!

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I'm beginning to suspect the place I had him boarded at maybe gave him a mouse. He hasnt been acting right ever since I got him back but I thought it was just acclamation then brumation. Vet tomorrow..xray should tell the story.

Latest posts