• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So much conflicting information...

melissam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I have recently adopted a 4 year old male bd. (First reptile. Much research done) He is very relaxed and seems to be doing well and is happy. I have a 4x2x2 wooden terrarium, with a 12% arcadia bulb mounted inside. His top layer of the cave complex I built is 11-12" away from the bulb. I have a couple of ceramic heat emmitters, one on a dimmer for the day and one on a thermostat for the night. My basking temp is at 110 with a probe thermostat which dims the light. (I put the probe at the hottest spot using a heat gun, everything near there is less hot by about 5 degrees) His night temp is set at 74.

He likes to eat his bugs, I dust his meals with calcium daily, d3 and multivites on weekends. He is getting used to veggies (wasn't fed too many veggies previously)

His poops are a little loose, with parts more formed and others more watery. Is this concerning?

He likes baths and poops in the bath which is every other day.

He is eating crickets daily and is offered mealworms or super worms most days. He was a bit underweight when I got him. He gets some hornworms a couple times a week and has had butterworms twice.

Are these poops because he is getting used to different food? Or something to be concerned about. Also how is the general setup sounding? I want to do the best for him.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 20230910_121418.jpg
    20230910_121418.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

melissam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, sorry it added a bearded dragon egg tag. First post still figuring this forum out. Lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, sorry it added a bearded dragon egg tag. First post still figuring this forum out. Lol
Nice tank and everything sounds great- the horn worms are a hydrating worm- I would cut back on the baths- they don't need that many- it will dry their scales out- you can add some raw shredded sweet potatoe to his diet see if it will firm them up

melissam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the reply! Any tips on getting him to eat his salad? I have tried chopping it different sized and I am currently working through the staple freens to find something he likes. Not a fan of much so far.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the reply! Any tips on getting him to eat his salad? I have tried chopping it different sized and I am currently working through the staple freens to find something he likes. Not a fan of much so far.
Have you tried using bsfl as lures to the salad bowl?

melissam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Have you tried using bsfl as lures to the salad bowl?
I have tried butterworm toppers as well as mealworm toppers. I try to bury some so he has to dig, or accidentally eats some greens going after them. He likes bell peppers so far. And cooked sweet potato, although I have only given him that once as I heard it was supposed to be a treat. I will get some bsfl to add to the salad bowl next time and see if he goes for it. He had 5 bites from the salad bowl today without any bug toppers but it is a rare thing for him to eat any salad. Maybe he is just growing accustomed to greens.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have tried butterworm toppers as well as mealworm toppers. I try to bury some so he has to dig, or accidentally eats some greens going after them. He likes bell peppers so far. And cooked sweet potato, although I have only given him that once as I heard it was supposed to be a treat. I will get some bsfl to add to the salad bowl next time and see if he goes for it. He had 5 bites from the salad bowl today without any bug toppers but it is a rare thing for him to eat any salad. Maybe he is just growing accustomed to greens.
It took me years to get mine to eat salads- I tried everything- he does eat some now - this spring he was eating quite a bit of his salads but as the weather got warmer he has really laid off the food - bell peppers will give watery stools the sweet potato will firm it up -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info it is outdated and is a good staple http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html I would be persistent and keep feeding the salads --

melissam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for this list. It seems like each website shows different staples and times you can feed all other veggies varies a lot.

I have one final question if you dont mind. The one area at the bottom right of the tank gets colder. There is a patio stone there and it only gets between 76-78, he usually stays out of there but sometimes he goes there to sleep and I think it's too cold for when he wakes up. Everywhere else in the tank is prime temperature gradient. Do I need to rearrange the lights and che to make that spot warmer or is it OK for him?

Thanks!

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you for this list. It seems like each website shows different staples and times you can feed all other veggies varies a lot.

I have one final question if you dont mind. The one area at the bottom right of the tank gets colder. There is a patio stone there and it only gets between 76-78, he usually stays out of there but sometimes he goes there to sleep and I think it's too cold for when he wakes up. Everywhere else in the tank is prime temperature gradient. Do I need to rearrange the lights and che to make that spot warmer or is it OK for him?

Thanks!
Mine does this a lot too.. as far as what I’ve learned it’s completely fine, even at night unless your household dips below 65 degrees

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Thanks!
You want cooler temps at night 65-75- the 78 is good during the day we usually recommend low 80's

Latest posts