• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So frustrated

Bearded Dinger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so you talk to 10 people and all of them say something different we are settimg up a new terrarium and need some advise the breeder we are getting the dragons from are born and rasied on sand just to put that out there. Now comming home ive heard sand, coconut husk, crushed walnut, tile, slate, and carpet. Now I dont really like the carpet, tile, or slate. But whats your opinions on the other?

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
To each there own my friend, all any of us can do is give you advice based on what's worked and hasn't worked for us. I can tell you that a lot of people here will say go tile because it can hold heat very well, easy to clean, and your beardie can't eat it. If you are anti tile for whatever reason and have your heart set on a sand substrate. Most will then recommend towards children's play sand from Home Depot because it deteriorates when wet unlike most "reptile sand" that clumps up, meaning possible impaction. Same goes for using bark or sanichips.

One setup that I've seen and really like is tile for 3/4 of it and then a small wall that separates the last 1/4 and that's filled with sand.

Like I said we can give you opinions from our experiences, but it's your choice and you will slowly learn what works and doesn't work for you

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
If it's a baby I would strongly recommend just using paper towels or newspaper or tile solely because it makes it easy to tell that your beardie is pooping and also that it doesn't have the possibility to eat anything it isn't suppose to. Babies are fragile in any species

Claudiabates

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so you talk to 10 people and all of them say something different we are settimg up a new terrarium and need some advise the breeder we are getting the dragons from are born and rasied on sand just to put that out there. Now comming home ive heard sand, coconut husk, crushed walnut, tile, slate, and carpet. Now I dont really like the carpet, tile, or slate. But whats your opinions on the other?
Felt. They ingest the sand and then can't poop.

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Anything under a year is a baby. I agree with the tile, paper towels, reptile carpet or newspaper. It's so much easier and has no risk. The baby won't care that you switched it on him and the enclosure is for his benefit so i don't agree with the personal preference comment.... Except between those safe substrates.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Its funny, back when I first started keeping reptiles there was no internet really and definitely no forums like this. So I always think it must be so much easier for people to find information now ;) Its true that you have to wade through some nonsense, but at least the good information is still able to be found at your fingertips.

It sounds like you are wanting something a little more natural looking. Is that the reason you arent fond of the tile/paper towels/etc? If so, there is another option. You can put them on a bioactive soil substrate. It takes a bit more work to set up, but is as natural as you can get. I keep all my animals on it. I have started a thread outlining how here:

http://beardeddragonforum.com/threads/bioactive-soil-as-a-substrate-choice.11152/

Bearded Dinger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks you guys this is why I joined this group me and the wife are now leaning towards the stick on tile with some slate accents and when we move him into his adult home which will be a 90 gal aquarium we will be doing the bioactive we cannot now because the doors are only 4" from the bottom of the enclosure. Thanks a million you guys

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
I'm just glad we and even myself can help with information. When I first joined this forums months ago the only thing I could recommend about a bearded dragon is a name for it. This forum truly has incredible people full of knowledge
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413506321.902060.jpg

And Phoenix and I support America

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
I use aspen if they eat it it goes straight through them . For a baby though I would listen to the above people

katiehenderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Aspen is good cause the bits are big enough for them to spit out, its a lot easier to spot clean, and it is passed easily, ive heard that it is digestable but im not sure if i believe that or not. Each substrate has its own risk ive tried bare bottom, slate, paper, astro turf, sand and aspen and i find aspen is the best :) but its whatever you like the most

Latest posts