• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sneezing beardie?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allie's been sneezing twice a day. The other night, she did it. Then she did it this morning and just before bed. No mucous discharge from her mouth or her nostrils, no changes in diet, activity, nothing. She's not hiding or doing anything out of the ordinary. No rattling noises, or clicks.

Could they get allergies like we do? Or is it something worry about? I'm little worried because she hasn't sneezed before. And maybe it's the change of weather.

I don't use sand, but I'm doing some fall cleaning of my house so maybe some dust is going into her tank.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's sneezing more now. I called her vet and found out she had a baby boy so she's not there. The other vet doesn't even know what to do about Allie as per getting antibiotics. I've got left over Albon from her last infection. Some site says you can use it for RI.

I called around town to find a back up vet and they want to see her but it's a pay up front type of deal. Now I'm not sure what to do because I'm short on my money for this month. I wasn't counting on anything happening and emergencies do happen.

I gave her Albon this morning with the hopes since it's a sulfa drug, it'll help with an infection. Since giving her the Albon, she hasn't sneezed since though. Poor girl. :(

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Noella, an upper respiratory infection is only dangerous if it goes on for a while. Just keep an eye on Allie! They usually can get over them on their own. Give it a week or two unless it gets really bad. Don't treat it too early.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've ordered the generic Baytril suspension. She's worrying me. I've upped her heat. she feels a little better, with the exception of sitting up with her head high toward the lights. I know that's got to be uncomfortable. And I've been giving her syringe water to keep her hydrated. sorry so short and will I get her RI if she's sleeping under my nose?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, we've had two sneezes this morning and a happy go lucky color change from dark and stress marks under her belly to a golden color with no stress marks. I elevated her head last night while she slept and that helped a lot. She woke up at 9:30 this morning and didn't even bother to poke her head out from under her blankets. She just didn't want to get out of bed because she was so warm. LOL!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Aww :) cute! It does sound like a respiratory infection. If she gets bad I'd take her to the vet. Poor thing!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've noticed whenever I take her out to give her some water, she'd sneeze, hiccup, or 'cough?' I'm not sure if I'm hearing a cough. It's like a sneeze and hiccup.

She feels relief in her tank at high temps of 95-96. I also included a small folded up pillowcase that gets warm and she'll lay on that. (She'll sometimes hide in her hide for a little while but she comes out. She basked under her heat lamps today, gaping, and not gasping (Won't let me look into her mouth. She clenches her mouth shut and backs away from me whenever I try to look at her teeth.).

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Any secretions? It's probably a cough. It is kind of weird how they do it lol. What did you have your temps at before where you upped them to 95-96?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Last week it read 92-93 with both a halogen floodlight and a 75 watt infrared light.

Now, I've got two different halogen floodlight bulbs, a 75 watt and a 50 watt. It's upped my temps back to normal. (I really need to get a timer for my lights. There were a few days where I overslept and turned on her lights as fast as possible. I'm thinking she got this because I overslept several times. I always try to get up earlier and that's what I've been doing lately since she became sick.) And I've been sick myself with allergic rhinitis or a cold. Could I have given her that?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The low temps may very well be the culprit. I would get a timer! They're awesome and you can find them pretty cheap at wal mart.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay. I'll check them out when I get more $.

I've got another issue. I've got the infrared light and since Allie's needing extra heat, the thermometer under her blanket's reading 93. Will that be okay for her? It makes her feel better during the day and I don't want her cold at night. I want her to get better and she isn't gasping, awake or anything?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It's still not good to leave light on, she won't get good sleep that way and you heal mostly when you're sleeping. Just make sure to keep the house temps above 65 at night. I would bump up the heat during the day to 105 at the basking spot at least while she's getting over this though just to be safe. She'll bask when she needs to, don't worry about the ambient temps as long as they're around 80.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there, If this is indeed a RI. RI are serious and need to be dealt with quickly. If your animal is showing no progress in the last few days, Id get her to the vet asap. The longer you wait the longer the recover will be and could possibly lose the animal. Respiratory infections make it very hard to breath and eventually suffocates the animal.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@Aleena: She's sleeping under two blankets. One dark, one not. She slept really well last night and woke up when I did which was at nine sharp. She sneezed once which is an improvement from five or six sneezes in one day. The poor baby wasn't too happy. She had stress marks and dark colors. She's showing signs of improvement with the heat up so high. I tried to get the temps up from 95, but am unsuccessful to get them any higher. I'm ordering a CHE next month for her, along with some other things.

@gilliesexotics: Hi. Thank you for your help. I've ordered a Generic Baytril suspension and should be arriving soon. I'm waiting for that to come. But so far, with the temperatures rising in my house and her home, she's improving on her own. She's one lucky beardie right now.