• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Smelly enclosure

penhryn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello! I have 2 pygmy bearded dragons. I changed their sand, cleaned the enclosure and put everything back. This was last week. Now, everytime I open the glass doors, it smells awful. A bit like their poo I guess. I take the poo out whenever they do one. It is not at all runny but solid. Nice topic. The enclosure has a decent size vent at the back. I'm not quite sure what it could be. They are very healthy and alert. I feed them crickets, snow peas, beans, broccoli and dandelion flowers. Maybe it's the veges. Don't know. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I do know that veggies can smell pretty bad if left in all day. Try changing it out a couple of times a day and see if that helps. Are your veggies on your cool side? When Beardies poo they do pee and that goes into the sand and maybe you are not getting it all. I am a tile person because it is much easier to clean and sanitize. Having sand is very controversial on any Beardie forum and it is not recommended to have them in the same habitat. It can eventually cause injuries and even death. Maybe you can post a picture and I am sure someone else will try and help as well.

Good luck! :)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You may also wish to think about getting a fecal sample to a vet to test for parasites.. since they are housed together, if one has parasites, they more than likely both will..
Just a thought.
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree getting a fecal just to make sure nothing is amiss. I used sand for about a year after Bernie turned 1 that was changed every 3 months. I also had an odor around. Changing it to tile was the best decision we ever made. Clean up is easier and our dragon's health was better off.

Off topic, but have you considered separating them?

Latest posts