• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sleepy!!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Babies should be pretty active. If your's is sleeping all day, you need to check and make sure your UVB is current and that your basking spot is 107 degrees and your cool side is around 80. Another thing that makes them sleep during the day is if you have any sort of colored lights on them at night. Light at night disrupts their sleep and will make them sleepy during the day.

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for replying!! The bulb should be current. I just bought it last Saturday. What size should the UVB be?? I have a 20 gallon tank. And her little belly looks like it is sunken in. And I can barely get her to open her eyes when I hold her.

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Babies should be pretty active. If your's is sleeping all day, you need to check and make sure your UVB is current and that your basking spot is 107 degrees and your cool side is around 80. Another thing that makes them sleep during the day is if you have any sort of colored lights on them at night. Light at night disrupts their sleep and will make them sleepy during the day.

Attachments

• 20171023_100153.jpg
    20171023_100153.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20171023_100136.jpg
    20171023_100136.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20171023_100124.jpg
    20171023_100124.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 9

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
I posted pics of the bulbs I am using

Thank you for replying!! The bulb should be current. I just bought it last Saturday. What size should the UVB be?? I have a 20 gallon tank. And her little belly looks like it is sunken in. And I can barely get her to open her eyes when I hold her.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What are you measuring your tank temps with?

The red light needs to go. If you are using that at night then it is disrupting her sleep. They have a third eye on their head that allows them to see shadows and feel heat when their eyes are closed. A colored light of any color casts shadows over them and they will think they are being hunted. If the tank drops below 65 at night, then use something called a CHE that gives off heat but no light, but only use it to get the tank between 65-70 degrees. They need a temp drop at night to regulate their body temps.

If you are using the red light during the day, then you are slowly hurting her eyes. The colored bulbs during the day don't allow their pupils to constrict properly and can eventually burn the retina.

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are you measuring your tank temps with?

The red light needs to go. If you are using that at night then it is disrupting her sleep. They have a third eye on their head that allows them to see shadows and feel heat when their eyes are closed. A colored light of any color casts shadows over them and they will think they are being hunted. If the tank drops below 65 at night, then use something called a CHE that gives off heat but no light, but only use it to get the tank between 65-70 degrees. They need a temp drop at night to regulate their body temps.

If you are using the red light during the day, then you are slowly hurting her eyes. The colored bulbs during the day don't allow their pupils to constrict properly and can eventually burn the retina.
Ok. So I will def get rid of the red light. I don't have anything to read temps. What do you recommend?? And do the other 2 lights look ok???

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I like an infrared temp gun, you can get one on Amazon for like $13. The basking bulb looks good, but the UVB bulb is only useful in temporary situations. Your dragon would have to be 3 inches away from the bulb in order for it to get any benefits long term. Look into a tube style UVB bulb. A T5 size can sit on top of your tank but a T 8 size needs to be mounted inside. Make sure the bulb covers at least 2/3rds of your tank.

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
I like an infrared temp gun, you can get one on Amazon for like $13. The basking bulb looks good, but the UVB bulb is only useful in temporary situations. Your dragon would have to be 3 inches away from the bulb in order for it to get any benefits long term. Look into a tube style UVB bulb. A T5 size can sit on top of your tank but a T 8 size needs to be mounted inside. Make sure the bulb covers at least 2/3rds of your tank.
Thank you so much!! I appreciate you!!! I am ordering the temp gun today!!! The tube UVB do you have to order that as well or do pet stores usually carry those???

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Patsy, my cage is a 20 gallon and is 30 inches long. What size of fixture and UVB bulb should i get???

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You are going to eventually need a bigger tank so I would probably get a 24” fixture so that it can also be used on a bigger tank. Stores do carry the T8 fixtures but don’t always have the T5 fixtures. Stores online usually have better sales though. Pet Mountain is a good one to check out along with Dr. Foster and Smith.

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
You are going to eventually need a bigger tank so I would probably get a 24” fixture so that it can also be used on a bigger tank. Stores do carry the T8 fixtures but don’t always have the T5 fixtures. Stores online usually have better sales though. Pet Mountain is a good one to check out along with Dr. Foster and Smith.
Great!! Thank you so much!!!

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just went to check on her and try to get her to eat some collard greens and it looks she is turning really dark. And her belly has black marks in it??

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would get the temp gun ASAP and make sure your temps are correct.

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get the temp gun ASAP and make sure your temps are correct.
Patsy, she passed today. I am going tomorrow to get another one. I just fell in love with Raingo. What can you tell me ( not knowing anything about bd) about bringing home a baby.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I’m so sorry make sure you clean the tank real good. A steam cleaner is best but you could also use diluted ammonia if you make sure you rinse the tank real good and make sure there is no ammonia smell.

Get your temp gun and make sure the basking spot is 107 degrees and make sure your UVB is good. Remember, a healthy baby will eat 3x a day however much it wants so get ready to get eaten out of house and home.

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m so sorry make sure you clean the tank real good. A steam cleaner is best but you could also use diluted ammonia if you make sure you rinse the tank real good and make sure there is no ammonia smell.

Get your temp gun and make sure the basking spot is 107 degrees and make sure your UVB is good. Remember, a healthy baby will eat 3x a day however much it wants so get ready to get eaten out of house and home.
Thank you for helping me. ❤

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Soo very sorry that you lost your little one.. you did the best you could.. we are all here to help you and yes make sure you clean the tank and all the decorations very well before you bring the new one home..
Really take your time on deciding on the dragon you end up getting... they should be alert, color should be good, active, eat good.
All 3 of mine I took a long time watching them in the store before getting them..

Denise Keith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Soo very sorry that you lost your little one.. you did the best you could.. we are all here to help you and yes make sure you clean the tank and all the decorations very well before you bring the new one home..
Really take your time on deciding on the dragon you end up getting... they should be alert, color should be good, active, eat good.
All 3 of mine I took a long time watching them in the store before getting them..
Thank you. I am sure I will have many more questions!! Actually, what is a good salad that I can give every day?? And how long should I wait before I start handling the baby??

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thank you. I am sure I will have many more questions!! Actually, what is a good salad that I can give every day?? And how long should I wait before I start handling the baby??

Under our comments is a link to general information that has all that there. As far as salads go, I always use collards, dandelion and mustard greens. Sometimes I use turnip greens in place of one of the others. Then I add one veggie like a squash or pepper or something. I also give blueberries as treats every now and then.

Latest posts