• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Slate

jam5971

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've found some pieces of rock, slate I believe, that I used to have in an aquarium years ago. Forgot I still had it.

I thought I might look at using it in Spikes enclosure in the hope that it will keep his nails down, so I won't have to trim them.

I don't want to put them in without first getting rid of any nasties, so I was wondering what would be the best way to sterilise/sanitise them prior to use. Thought about giving them a scrub, then pouring boiling water over them, giving them a blast with my steam cleaner or going belt and braces and doing both!

Which would be best or do you have any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome, Jam. cleaning them is a very good idea. soaking in a bleach solution followed by thorough rinsing (and rinsing and rinsing). also possible to bake them - 200 to 250 degrees for a few hours. gotta be careful with that though - sometimes the heat will make them explode. not a good thing. never thought about using a steam cleaner. I kinda like that idea. I still think I'd bleach soak em - then steam em. it's unlikely that you have any nasties - probably dried out, but better to err on the side of caution. a sick beardie is also not a good thing.

please share a photo of Spike and his tank after you get it all re-furbished !

Latest posts