• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Size Question

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So my enclosure is 3,9 feet x 15,7 inches x 15,7 inches. The question is.

Immediately after hatching, can I keep the 25 babies in this?
If so, how long before I need to move them into seperate tubs?

It will have a Reptisun 10.0 UVB light, a large basking light, and a lot of logs, rocks etc. I will get back to you all with the UVB light length.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well if my math serves me correct thats almost 50 gallons.

And its a LOOOOOOONG tank, so why dont you divide it into 3-4 parts with the UV spanning the top. Then you can divide the babies into smaller groups as well.

Just my thoughts

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rolandslf said:
So my enclosure is 3,9 feet x 15,7 inches x 15,7 inches. The question is.

Immediately after hatching, can I keep the 25 babies in this?
If so, how long before I need to move them into seperate tubs?

It will have a Reptisun 10.0 UVB light, a large basking light, and a lot of logs, rocks etc. I will get back to you all with the UVB light length.

Can you, .........................yes.
Should you...................NO.
Babies should be seperated into bins of 3-5 each immediately after hatching. They mature at different rates and you'll want to observe their eating behaviors individually to ensure you have no aggressive babies. Hard to tell 25 babies apart in one area vs 3-5 in one area.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank You Both for the replies.

I can do the division with 3 foot UVB across the top, no problem.
I take it then that each division will need its own basking lamp.

Can I do the divisions with Maisonite.

Oh, I just encountered a problem as I was writing, the cage has sliding glass fronts.

What is the minnimum clearance I can have between the basking lamp and the babies?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank You Both for the replies.

I can do the division with 3 foot UVB across the top, no problem.
I take it then that each division will need its own basking lamp.

Can I do the divisions with Maisonite.

Suppose you could use masonite, but as its a temporary thing till you sell them or get each his/her own viv Cardboard will do and is much cheaper

As for your other question I.m not sure about the clearance distance, as long as the basking temps for each division are between 105/110 (40.5 / 43.3C). So youll have to play around with wattages and distances till its just right. Guess this also answers your question about each division having its own basking light. I think those clip on lamp holders will work OK as they can be moved easilly and adjusted for different heights

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Monique

Cardboard sounds ideal. In South African speak, if I divide the enclosure into 3 sections, I will have 3 enclosures with measurements roughly 40cm x 40cm x 40cm. I don't know how easy it will be to get the correct temperature gradient for each individual section.
To my way of thinking, it would be better to divide the enclosure into 2 sections of 60cm x 40cm x 40cm.
What do you think?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OMG I really dont know much about breeding and teeny weeny babies. But yeah I have to agree that getting the correct temp gradient on the 3 would be difficult.

To my way of thinking, it would be better to divide the enclosure into 2 sections of 60cm x 40cm x 40cm.
What do you think?

Yeah but that would mean about 12 babies per division and its not a good idea for so many together they will get into each others faces and youll end up with tail and toe nips. Plus one of these days that lady is gonna call AGAIN (Once the egg bound dilemma is sorted) and youll have more babies.

I was just remebering a post where someone said (Yeah lots of somethings and somebodys but I cant find the darn post now) that you can use bins like the ones they sell at Builders warehouse or next to some of the intersections around towns (You know those diff coloures plastic ones with the lids and some have wheels - I use them for my kids toys)
Then if you place the bins (lets say 6 of them with about 3 ish beardies each) kinda like this. (It will also provide space for the next batch of eggs that the lady called you about)

BDsetup.jpg

The globes can be attached to those clamps I mentioned earlier and the bins arent as expensive as VIV's.

IDK but this is my 2 cents. Maybe it triggers ideas by you or something

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I will look into that option.

Read my new post in the Breeders Chat Board. I have already picked up the second clutch.

Latest posts