• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

size of food?

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok so I got a question about size of foods. I know that the food is not supposed to be larger than the space between there eyes. My question is which way do you measure the food. Example the cricket is much longer then wide so do you go by width or length. Same thing with super worms they are 10 times longer then wide. Thanks for any help

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Go with the length. The length of the cricket should be no larger than the size between his eyes.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All food should be no larger than the space between their eyes. Mealworms should be avoided for beardies. They do not offer any nutritional value and their outer shell is difficult for a beardie to digest, which could potentially lead to an impacted bearde dragon.

Jeebs24

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is probably the sixth time I've read someone suggesting not to feed mealworns. The little pooper is not eating mealworns again! :D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jeebs... do your own research and you will find out why at least nutritionally mealies aren't good as a staple for dragons... gecks yes, dragons .. no.
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jeebs24 said:
This is probably the sixth time I've read someone suggesting not to feed mealworns. The little pooper is not eating mealworns again! :D

mealworms are like rock candy, you wouldnt feed a baby rock candy everyday right?
basically mealworms have a very thick and strong exoskeleton (by worm standards) and are high fat and high phosphorous. They are nutritionally very lacking and even with supplementation via dusting it does not help much. Plus the chance of impaction due to your dragons inability to fully digest them can become a issue as well.

Latest posts