• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Silkmoth!

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Five weeks ago, I ordered silkworms. They were smalls, about ¾ of an inch long. I was excited to raise them to feeding size and have Precious taste them for the first time. But they were so adorable and friendly...got excited when you went to the container, walked right into your hand...my son fell in love with them and refused to let them become feeders. So 4 weeks later, all 30 of them grew big and fat and began to pupate and cocoon. Unfortunately, most turned brown and shrunk but did not cocoon. We're down to 6 cocoons and 5 brown bodies.
To our surprise, exactly 5 weeks later, this morning one of the moths came out of the cocoon! It is just the cutest thing ever! I've been so excited and telling everyone I know but they can't share my excitement...so I'm sharing it with you all!
It's so sad that all we have to look forward to is watching it die in the next few days but it was a fun experience and would have never happened if it wasn't for Precious lol.
20150129_1829331_zpsnovql4vq.jpg

This one my son fell in love with first and separated from the others, she was named Big Girl. This was after 3 weeks.
20150220_1753271_zpsoznwf5gj.jpg

Big Girl a few hours ago.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Precious has been eyeing them and tried to get them from outside their container many times! But that wasn't her in the background, that was my son's bearded dragon tshirt, lol :D

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
lol I used to do that as a kid. I would take my dad's mealworms from fishing as pets but they didn't end up as cute moths :eek:. As an adult I still love animals and have my own zoo/farm. Someday you may visiting your son's little zoo.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Aww, that sounds like the life Mushu! My son has made a floor plan of how he wishes he could set up the basement to house 20 different kinds of pets and a reptile rescue. I keep telling him when he does all the feeding, cleaning and taking care of the all the expenses of all these animals, then he can feel free to do it!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would love to just care for animals all day. In my line of work all I do is listen to people calling with problems, I would love to be around "people" that don't complain.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
RIP Big Girl, geez that was fast :(

Yes Patsy, people definitely have the tendency to make you appreciate animals so much more!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
RIP Big Girl, geez that was fast :(

Yes Patsy, people definitely have the tendency to make you appreciate animals so much more!

They do die pretty fast. I would only get a few days out of my hornworm moths. When temperatures were warmer I got about 10 days. I don't know what you would feed silkworm moths but I used to leave hummingbird food in with the moths. I never saw them eating it though, I just assumed they did.

Latest posts