• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Silk worms

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
Hey there! I'm about to order some silk worms for both my Beardie puff and my two leopard geckos. So, my leopard geckos both just ended ovulation, where they weren't eating for almost 3 months. But now all they'll eat is soft worms, and I know they need far more nutrients than waxworms and butterworms dusted. So I've done some research, and found that silk worms are super amazing nutrition wise. So I'm going to give them a try. And I figured it couldn't be so bad for my beardie as well. I've heard and read allot about the argument of superworms and mealworms (which I'm more used to caring for) and their potential to be unhealthy for beardies. I also cannot for the life of me care for crickets (which my leopard geckos will not ever eat), and I live in Florida so roaches aren't an option.
I was curious if anyone has had stories or advice on silk worms, any would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey there! I'm about to order some silk worms for both my Beardie puff and my two leopard geckos. So, my leopard geckos both just ended ovulation, where they weren't eating for almost 3 months. But now all they'll eat is soft worms, and I know they need far more nutrients than waxworms and butterworms dusted. So I've done some research, and found that silk worms are super amazing nutrition wise. So I'm going to give them a try. And I figured it couldn't be so bad for my beardie as well. I've heard and read allot about the argument of superworms and mealworms (which I'm more used to caring for) and their potential to be unhealthy for beardies. I also cannot for the life of me care for crickets (which my leopard geckos will not ever eat), and I live in Florida so roaches aren't an option.
I was curious if anyone has had stories or advice on silk worms, any would be much appreciated!

Roaches are an option for us!!!! I'm having the same issue with roaches as I also live in Florida. Then I found Joe's bug through this forum. He has very good pricing!

I've also read that silk worms are super good for dragons, but supposedly a bit pricey.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
Well I found coastalsilkworms and I personally think their prices are pretty good. About 12$ for a pod of 50. And I figure with proper dusting as well, a few will go a long way, especially for my leopard geckos.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I found coastalsilkworms and I personally think their prices are pretty good. About 12$ for a pod of 50. And I figure with proper dusting as well, a few will go a long way, especially for my leopard geckos.

Get out!!! That's awesome!!! A pod of hornworms here is 15 for 25!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Yes silkworms are fantastic feeders just know that tending to them is a bit of work getting their poop out of the container and they eat mulberry leaves.. so make sure you do your research on their care.. @PatsyB knows more about their care if you need info.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Rainbow mealworms has 25 small hornworms for 8$!

Omg I've got to check them out! Thank you so much for the info!!

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes silkworms are fantastic feeders just know that tending to them is a bit of work getting their poop out of the container and they eat mulberry leaves.. so make sure you do your research on their care.. @PatsyB knows more about their care if you need info.
Patsy chime in!

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
Omg I've got to check them out! Thank you so much for the info!!

Oh you’re welcome! I’ve gone through allot of companies in my years of have leopard geckos, and personally rainbow mealworms is the best! But, they don’t seek discoid or silkworms. I’m glad I found coastal silkworms though!

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh you’re welcome! I’ve gone through allot of companies in my years of have leopard geckos, and personally rainbow mealworms is the best! But, they don’t seek discoid or silkworms. I’m glad I found coastal silkworms though!

Well try out Joe's bugs for those roaches. I should be getting my package in a few days.

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
Well try out Joe's bugs for those roaches. I should be getting my package in a few days.

I’ll give him a look! Let me know how your package goes!

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I’ll give him a look! Let me know how your package goes!

I got it yesterday. The only thing I didn't like is that they come in a cloth bag. So to get then all out Isn't easy. But so far I like them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@Hdrydr31 I totally missed this, message me next time to get my butt over here!!!!

@Hopehrl I LOVE silkworms and I LOVE Coastal Silkworms, that is my go to place. I buy the pods of smalls because they seem to always have them in stock. Plus I have different sized mouths to feed so smalls work out great for the little ones then grow for the beardies. Silkworms are one of the best feeders after dubia roaches. High in calcium and serrapeptase, which is a natural enzyme that is an anti inflammatory. If you have a sick dragon that you are giving medicine to, serrapeptase helps the antibiotics work faster.

Last fall I bought 100 and my beardies went into brumation and I ended up breeding silk worms. The eggs are a little tricky to hatch but silkworm moths only live to mate and lay eggs, they don't even eat anything!

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
Ugh, that sounds amazing, okay! I’m gonna order some this Wednesday, and I’ll let you guys know how it goes!
Now, do you dust your silk worms at all?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ugh, that sounds amazing, okay! I’m gonna order some this Wednesday, and I’ll let you guys know how it goes!
Now, do you dust your silk worms at all?

You don't need too because they are high in calcium but sometimes I will hit them with a multivitamin.

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
You don't need too because they are high in calcium but sometimes I will hit them with a multivitamin.
Okay awesome, duly noted. I’ll probably dust a few with multi vitamin for Puff, and dust all for the leopard geckos.
Why have I never tried silk worms in the past,
I’ll never know [emoji28]

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I tried them before but never gave them a second thought until Dexter got sick and I started giving her serrapeptase and found out it was naturally found in Silkworms!

So far I’ve only had 2 batches of eggs hatch. I currently have some I’m trying to hatch, it’s been about a week. I read that the way they are bred here is so that the eggs only hatch a certain time of the year. That’s why places are out of stock of them so much.

Latest posts