• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Signs of becoming overweight?

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am VERY careful on how heavy or fat my bearded dragon is. I want him to have a healthy life. Maybe I’m just paranoid... I don’t know if my bearded dragon is becoming overweight. He is a month old. I’ve only every fed him 3 mealworms. He’s not a huge fan. I feed him bock choi and kale and fruit every other day and some veggies every day. He eats around 12 crickets. He always seems like he is hungry. He can always eat more. He gets good exercise running around his cage and I get him out for an hour or so every day to roam around. I’m pretty sure he is a healthy weight I just don’t want him to get overweight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I am VERY careful on how heavy or fat my bearded dragon is. I want him to have a healthy life. Maybe I’m just paranoid... I don’t know if my bearded dragon is becoming overweight. He is a month old. I’ve only every fed him 3 mealworms. He’s not a huge fan. I feed him bock choi and kale and fruit every other day and some veggies every day. He eats around 12 crickets. He always seems like he is hungry. He can always eat more. He gets good exercise running around his cage and I get him out for an hour or so every day to roam around. I’m pretty sure he is a healthy weight I just don’t want him to get overweight
He's adorable. He doesn't look too chunky to me. About as chunky as my 2 month old looks like right now. Who is still not eating fresh veges btw! Still on baby food veges. This morning he has bok choy, parsley, small carrot shavings, and small pieces of yellow bell pepper with small pieces of strawberry thrown in for his salad. It looks yummy to me. Don't get it. What the heck. lol 'Course he's shedding so he doesn't have much of an appetite today.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He's too cute for his own good. And when it comes to growing dragons its very hard for them to become overweight considering they put most of the food they eat into growing. I read somewhere that they grow to be 200x their weight when they were born, so it definitely takes a lot of energy. Most baby bearded dragons usually eat around 50-100 crickets a day and i think the ratio should be 75-80% protein to 25-20% veggies. To be fair my bearded dragon didn't eat veggies until he was 7 months old and is not over weight at all. So if he's hungry let him eat and just keep up with the protein. Plus there are signs to dragons being overweight like stomach always dragging on the floor, eyes bulging out, base of tail is extremely thick, or a large fatty beard. I have never heard of a baby bearded dragon being obese it isn't possible. So just feed him until his heart is content. I'll send you some pictures of my beardie sporting a healthy but large gut

Attachments

• IMG-7575.jpg
    IMG-7575.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG-8452.jpg
    IMG-8452.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG-8476.jpg
    IMG-8476.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He's too cute for his own good. And when it comes to growing dragons its very hard for them to become overweight considering they put most of the food they eat into growing. I read somewhere that they grow to be 200x their weight when they were born, so it definitely takes a lot of energy. Most baby bearded dragons usually eat around 50-100 crickets a day and i think the ratio should be 75-80% protein to 25-20% veggies. To be fair my bearded dragon didn't eat veggies until he was 7 months old and is not over weight at all. So if he's hungry let him eat and just keep up with the protein. Plus there are signs to dragons being overweight like stomach always dragging on the floor, eyes bulging out, base of tail is extremely thick, or a large fatty beard. I have never heard of a baby bearded dragon being obese it isn't possible. So just feed him until his heart is content. I'll send you some pictures of my beardie sporting a healthy but large gut
I’ve heard so many different amounts of crickets... I heard from the pet store 5-10 when he was 2 weeks. And I’ve heard 15-30 and stuff like that. He is a month and a half old... THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO EAT 50-100?!?!?!

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I’ve heard so many different amounts of crickets... I heard from the pet store 5-10 when he was 2 weeks. And I’ve heard 15-30 and stuff like that. He is a month and a half old... THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO EAT 50-100?!?!?!
Yup especially when they’re babies. i think the record my beardie Starbucks had in a day was close to 90. Let’s just say I had to go get crickets again the next day. Now they may not eat that much everyday, some days starbucks only had around 40 or 30 especially if he was about to shed. I promise you, feed him as many crickets as he’d like 2-3 times a day and watch him grow. If he eats veggies that’s perfect still feed him those just make sure that protein is the bulk of his diet because that will make him grow. If your worried that he may not be getting enough vitamins than you can always give him a multivitamin supplement. My beardie would run away from veggies when he was younger so all I could do was feed him protein and let’s say he’s 7 months and already 20 inches long and not fat at all. And I let him eat as much as he wanted. Sometimes he wanted to eat 4 times a day and I let him. They put everything they eat into growing that age so I promise you he can’t get fat. So if he’s hungry that means he doesn’t have enough energy to grow.

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yup especially when they’re babies. i think the record my beardie Starbucks had in a day was close to 90. Let’s just say I had to go get crickets again the next day. Now they may not eat that much everyday, some days starbucks only had around 40 or 30 especially if he was about to shed. I promise you, feed him as many crickets as he’d like 2-3 times a day and watch him grow. If he eats veggies that’s perfect still feed him those just make sure that protein is the bulk of his diet because that will make him grow. If your worried that he may not be getting enough vitamins than you can always give him a multivitamin supplement. My beardie would run away from veggies when he was younger so all I could do was feed him protein and let’s say he’s 7 months and already 20 inches long and not fat at all. And I let him eat as much as he wanted. Sometimes he wanted to eat 4 times a day and I let him. They put everything they eat into growing that age so I promise you he can’t get fat. So if he’s hungry that means he doesn’t have enough energy to grow.
Wow. How big were the crickets? And didn’t that get expensive? Becuacr I had to pay 12 cents a cricket each week. So I collect my 10-20 of them a day from the field in my backyard. And he’s been doing great. And they are big and small

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wild crickets can be dangerous because they can carry disease, parasites or even something poisonous like pesticides which could kill your beardie. And a little bit when he was that young he’d cost me about 20-25 dollars a week, I’d usually by 200 crickets at a time so they wouldn’t be as expensive. And he was on 1/4” to 1/2” back then. When they get older they eat less so about 50 crickets or some sort of feeder a week. If he’s eating veggies than those crickets will last you longer or you can always take him off of veggies so you don’t have to pay more. He’ll know when he’s older to eat veggies. If you’d like to save some money you can always start a Dubias roach colony. They are easy to keep and are the best feeder insect out there for beardies. But those you do have to watch when he’s a bit older because they are so high in protein they can get your beardie fat. Beardies do tend to be expensive when they are younger but get less when they’re older, least with the feeders I find. Also just keep a close eye on him just in case he didn’t get anything from the wild feeders do just watch for diarrhea, lethargic, extremely smelly poop, or getting a lack on interest in foods

Latest posts