• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick Rescue Beardie

SilverSerpent

Bearded Dragon Egg
My girlfriend and I adopted a 3 yr old bearded dragon named Mango from an old ex-coworker. Previous owner was going to sell Mango on Craigslist and was neglecting her, so we drove 8 hours round-trip to pick her up and bring her into our care. Once we got there, we saw what conditions Mango had been living in for the last 3 yrs...

She was in a 45 gallon tank that had about a half inch of her own feces covering the floor. No water bowl, no fresh food available, no heat lamp. Upon a closer inspection, we noticed she’s fairly underweight (I haven’t formally weighed her, but she’s very bony. We can see her spine, ribs, and hips) and was severely dehydrated. She has stuck shed in her nostrils and was being fed nothing but wilted lettuce and pelleted 'juvenile bearded dragon chow'. Her vent also looks a little swollen. The tip of her tail is stubbed and when I asked previous owner what had happened to the tail, she stated that when Mango was a baby she had “accidentally closed the cage door on the tail and didn’t notice til several days later”. Mango had dangled from the tank lid by her tail until the tip came clean off. Luckily the tail healed and doesn't seem to cause her any pain or discomfort.

Once we got home, we placed her in a temporary quarantine tank while we disinfected, scrubbed, and redesigned her old 45 gallon. We decked out the new set up with hides, uvb, heat lamp, a water bowl and fresh greens. Placed a white towel on the tank floor so we could observe her stool better, but we plan on replacing it with tile or linoleum later on to help with heat retention. We placed her near her water bowl and she drank quite a bit. She basked and slept the entire day.

On day 2, she basked and slept again for most of the day. She didn’t eat but seemed to be getting a little stronger. She was able to pick herself up and move around the tank more. We gave her a “bath” in a small sterlite tub placed in a sunny spot where she soaked up some water and natural sunlight for about 15 mins. She pooped later in the day and it appeared there was a bit of trace blood in the mucus around the stool. Her stool and urates were also runny, but I figured this was just because she'd had so much water the day prior and because her vent was swollen. Decided to keep an eye on it and wait....

On day 3, she was acting slightly more alert. She was lifting her head more, moving a little more, and though we hadn’t seen her eating, her poo showed she had taken a teensy bite or two of the greens. Still trace blood in her stool, and she appeared to be straining to poop.

Today is day 6 and she's still very lethargic. Still sleeping and basking for almost the entire day. She'll respond to fast movements by opening her eyes just a crack, lifting her head, and doing some 'tongue flicks' but that's about it. Still not moving much. She's also not eating consistently from her bowl or when offered food by hand. We've tried kale, tomato, bell pepper, dandelion greens, mealworms, crickets, blueberries, green beans, strawberries, critical care (the carnivore mix, thinking she'd like the egg protein), and even some of the crummy old "dragon chow" that her previous owner was feeding her, but no luck. We are planning on starting syringe feeding soon.

Since she's not eating I'm starting to get really worried. I set up a vet appointment on Saturday and triple checked my temps and husbandry, but wanted to ask the opinions of some long-time "dragon parents" on here....Am I being a worry wart, or is there something really wrong? What should be my next steps, and how soon is "too soon" for syringe feeding?

Thanks for reading all this, any advice or pro-tips are greatly appreciated :) I'll try to provide photos later

SilverSerpent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update on Mango: Gave her some bath time again today (a good soak for about 20 mins) and she perked up a bit, though we didn't see her drink. She had a runny greenish poop this morning which looked like she had been nibbling some of the greens. Fingers crossed that she's headed back on the up-swing. We are starting supplemental syringe feeding tomorrow just to make sure she has something in her tummy.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would give more greens like collard, turnip, mustard, dandelion greens as Kale alone isn't really good for them, tomatoes are a food that is a rarely to be fed item as it's high in acidity.. Most of us go by www.beautifuldragons.com nutritional list as it is very extensive and explains alot.. you can do slurries with the greens and supplements and I would add in a powder probiotic like culturel childrens (no sugar or additives) to help her tummy..

SilverSerpent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks a ton! I'll be sure to check it out.

Also, funny you should mention it, I was planning on picking up some pro-biotic to mix into her food tomorrow (since I read that stress can really hurt their bacterial cultures in their digestive tracts) and was going to ask if there were any brands that were highly recommended. I had seen in some places that people had used Reptile Bene-bac or Acidophiliz+ but wasn't sure how they compared. I'll be sure to check at my local pharmacy and see if they have Culturel :)

Started syringe feeding her Critical Care this morning and she did great. Didn't love it at first, but was at least patient enough to eat some and began licking the syringe on her own towards the end. I'll try and toss some dandelion greens into the ol' food processor tomorrow afternoon and mix that into her diet rotation as well. Thanks again for the tips and advice!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awesome just go slow with how fast you syringe as they can aspirate super easy as they tend to hold foods in their beard then try to swallow it all. So if shes licking it that's even better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor thing :(

I use Benebac. I like that one. I also like to use Pangea for syringe feeding. It's a crested gecko diet that has supplements in it. They also make a formula that has bugs in it. You just mix it with water and put it in a syringe for the dragons. You want to go slow with feeding and don't force too much. Sounds like she hasn't really eaten much so digestion is going to put a huge tax on her organs. Are you sure that she is pooping out blood? It is possible that what you are seeing is the dye from those stupid pellets. Oh and avoid meal worms, their shells are too hard to digest and in her condition you don't want to add any more stress to her. Try crickets, dubia, or even soft worms like hornworms, silkworms, BSFL. Make sure you are dusting all of her food right now with suppliments. Since she hasn't had any UVB I would do Calcium w/D3 for awhile. 5x a week and then do a multivitamin 2x a week.

SilverSerpent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Honestly, I think you're right about the bits of red being dye from the pellets. Over the last few poops it seems to be getting slightly reduced (at first it looked like quite a bit, now it seems to be less). Her poo when she first came in seemed almost light green with bits of red, but now seems to be darkening to a more normal brown. I've noticed the red spots don't dry like normal blood (ie. when she pooped on the towel for the first few days, the red bits stayed red. They didn't oxidize to a brown/rust color like typical blood does when it dries.)

Thanks so much for the other advice as well! I'll be sure to mix in her supplements tonight, especially the calcium. Poor girl, she was so thrilled when I first put in her mercury vapor bulb--like she was re-discovering the sun. Same thing when I gave her a bath and some time in the sunshine--it really makes a world of difference.

More general updates: She seems to have a little more energy today, and I think she's feeling a little better....despite giving me the stink-eye. She's lifting her head up more, opening her eyes fully now, and even had the energy to try and wiggle away when I gently scooped her up to clean her tank this morning. Local pharmacy didn't have any unflavored Culturel, so I ordered some Benebac online and it should be here in a few days. Picking up some organic dandelion greens today from a local farmers market as well so we can start easing her onto the good stuff.

On behalf of Mango, thanks again for all the awesome advice and tips. I can't wait to see how her personality blooms once she feels a bit healthier. I can already tell she's going to be a cuddly but spunky little gal. :)

SilverSerpent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Updates: Sad to say that we took Mango to the vet Monday night for a general wellness check-up and to ask advice on helping her pick up weight. They did some cursory exams (bloodwork, x-rays etc) and the prognosis wasn't good. Vet said we were doing all the right things, but that because she hadn't had access to good food/nutrition for so long with previous owner that her organs had begun to shut down. Namely her liver and digestive systems. She's just too dehydrated, too underweight....too far gone. We are making her as comfortable as possible, but it's mostly hospice care right now. Poor girl. 3 years of poor husbandry will do that I suppose, but it's still a heart-breaker. At least we were able to give her a few weeks, buy her some time, and give her a taste of the good life that all beardies deserve. <3

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh I'm sorry to hear this.. Like Patsy said at least she will have known what it is like to be loved and well cared for in her final time here.. I don't understand people..

Latest posts