• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick crickets????? EWE

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So about 5 days ago I went to the petstore and picked up 100 baby crickets for my baby, I noticed they were darker than normal and had a really rank smell. I assumed its because I had gotten 100 this time instead of 50 or 70 and kinda ignored it. When I got them home I went to feed them. Baby draco only ate a couple and didnt bother with the rest, I assumed he was just full. The next day he was under the weather and acting sick! (hes fine now). However I went to feed more of those crix that day and he didnt even have any interest in them and maybe ate 1-2. He still looked sick though and the crickets really smelled. Yesterday I didnt even bother feeding them, I thought something had to be wrong with them, ive never smelled crix like this. I put the rest of the maybe 80 in the cricket keeper with some quencher to see if things improved in which they didnt, I could smell the crickets from like 3 feet away! it was nasty. This morning I went to look at them and about 60 of them were dead and black on the bottom of the keeper and the smell increased double, I could smell them from across the room. I since went to a different pet store a got brand new crix, they look and even smell great, it was an insane comparison. I would have even eaten the new ones they looked so tasty! lol. Healthy and energetic :)...I got home and even had mom compare the smell, she almost puked when she smelled the sick crix keeper but could hardly smell the fresh new ones, big big difference. My little guy is feeling much better today and gobbled up all of his new crix that I offered. Anywho my question since im so new to these guys and their food would be...were these sick crickets? what makes them sick? is the smell a possible sign of illness/disease? does this happen often? I just want to know so I dont feed sick crix to him in the future.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Jamie I know what you mean by the smell. A few weeks ago I got my usual order of crix from my local shop, and when I got them home there was a horrible smell anf a few dead in the tub. They had also been eating the indert in the box that they hide under so rather than give my dragons the crix then I gave the crix some bug grub & bug gel to feed them before I gave them to the dragons. After 24 hours I fed my dragons with them. They wern't too taken by them, but were hungry so they ate them. There must have been one or 2 that the girls missed as it was the following morning I got up to find one of my girls with a 1cm wound in her leg - the crix had bitten her thru the night.
I still use the same shop as it wasnt his fault this had happened, he could not get the order from his usual supplier and used a different supplier. He is now back to his usual supplier and I have had no trouble since, but we make sure there are no crix left over night.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
yup, same here. I bought 2 tubs of smalls. Got then home and took the lid off and "oh my god".... gross ... anyway l had a few spare containers so l sorted out the dead from living and housed the live one in a new home with new egg carton food and cut up carrot. l kept them for over a week and they were fine. I think that mayby the container they were in got moist or wet somewhere.. anyway, told the petshop and she gave me 2 boxes to replace. I actually smelt these ones before l left the shop. I knw my petshop get there order in on a wednesday so i go in first thing on a thursday. That's been the only time i've had trouble

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Dragonsx6 thanks for the reply and no worries, I usually take any leftover crickets out about 20 minutes after feeding if he hasnt eaten them. There must be some kind of illness that causes that to smell so bad and die so quickly and I think our dragons can probably tell, interesting isnt it? Too bad I had to lose all those crix but im glad I found some really good ones :)...hope your little guy heals up from his wound quickly! thats too bad they bit him :(

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Jane, there were no dead ones in the bag I recieved but they seemed to die over night and looked almost like they melted, it was weird and disgusting! it was great that the pet store replaced them. I thought about taking mine back but thought it probably wasnt worth it as I havent been too happy with them anyways, I prefer the smaller scale pet store about 6 more minutes farther, they seem to have healthy animals and fresh feed :)

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Larger amounts of crix require more maintenance & clean up. It seems like, if 1 gets sick then they all do. I would only recommend using them 4 hatchlings, when they get 2 b a few months old better feeders (super worms, wax worms, phoenix worms, dubai/hissing roaches) are available & should be considered. Crix offer no nutritional value & are pretty much good 4 extra moisture. My opinion.
@ Dragonsx6. Again, I'm sorry 2 hear about your girl, I'm sure she'll pull through just fine. Sounds like she's in good hands.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Jeffo, I have a good question for you. I have been feeding the smaller crixs since ive had him this past month and a half, we still arent sure on the actually age of my little guy but he measured out to be 6" a month ago. He seems very thin and hasnt ever had a big appetite, maybe 5-7 crix in the AM and 2 in the PM and collards every other day. He seems thin to me...what else can I feed him to help him grow. I was told he was too small/young to properly digest meal worms. My local pet store doesnt carry anything too fancy as far as feed goes. Any thoughts?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you are able 2 make online purchases do a google search for a supplier closest 2 you. Shipping bugs can be tricky with temperatures being hot or cold so finding a supplier closer 2 you will get u more live arrivals.