• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ragnaclock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello guys,

First of.. i will say i cannot afford to go the Vet, i live in NL

its gonna cost me hundreds, and I have a lot of personal things outside my control going on...

so here's a summary of my dear Elizabeth's situation.....

she recently came out of brumation,

everything was fine-ish for a week, she ate her powdered Dubia roaches, but did not even want to look at the direction of vegetables (collards, carrots, andjives, escarole) powdered with sticky tongue farms calcium, reptivite vitamins, and bee pollen ( not at the same time ofc)

I feed her one powdered roach a day until she regained full strength and apatite.

gave her baths, she drank water (very unusual for her)

she pooped a huge one on day 3

a week after she woke up, she threw up a Dubia roach, completely undigested,

and for the first time since I've had her (i got her at 3m old, now she is 1.2 years old) her beard turned absolutely completely black as in the picture, normally she is either white, or red-ish. this happened three days ago and her beard still remains completely black, her belly is white with no stress marks, all pigment scales on her back are also white...

my suspicions are:

illness

parasites

impaction - though today during a bath she pooped, but urate only, with some slight yellow stuff.

was thinking of feeding baby food mashed prunes until she pooped the urate, now i don't know what's the best thing to do

what i've done so far is ordered Verm-x gut hygiene booster and probiotic, however haven't been able to feed her

completely Disinfected her terrarium top to bottom and all around

ordered a new UVB lamp, though something went wrong with the delivery so its gonna take a while, just in case the uvb i use for her is, Arcadia D3 Dragon 14% Reptile T5 115CM, its rate for 1 year, the old one is 7 months old, im gonna replace it just in case.

about the tank

temps:

warm side: 90f at bottom 105 at top. hydration goes between 15-24% during the day

cold side 79f at bottom 85f at top hydration between 31-40% during the day

the is a ventilator for air circulation (silent)

substrate: habistat bearded dragon bedding

plants: Aoe Vera, Calisia (in cold side)

Opera Snapshot_2023-04-13_214537_www.facebook.com.png

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello guys,

First of.. i will say i cannot afford to go the Vet, i live in NL

its gonna cost me hundreds, and I have a lot of personal things outside my control going on...

so here's a summary of my dear Elizabeth's situation.....

she recently came out of brumation,

everything was fine-ish for a week, she ate her powdered Dubia roaches, but did not even want to look at the direction of vegetables (collards, carrots, andjives, escarole) powdered with sticky tongue farms calcium, reptivite vitamins, and bee pollen ( not at the same time ofc)

I feed her one powdered roach a day until she regained full strength and apatite.

gave her baths, she drank water (very unusual for her)

she pooped a huge one on day 3

a week after she woke up, she threw up a Dubia roach, completely undigested,

and for the first time since I've had her (i got her at 3m old, now she is 1.2 years old) her beard turned absolutely completely black as in the picture, normally she is either white, or red-ish. this happened three days ago and her beard still remains completely black, her belly is white with no stress marks, all pigment scales on her back are also white...

my suspicions are:

illness

parasites

impaction - though today during a bath she pooped, but urate only, with some slight yellow stuff.

was thinking of feeding baby food mashed prunes until she pooped the urate, now i don't know what's the best thing to do

what i've done so far is ordered Verm-x gut hygiene booster and probiotic, however haven't been able to feed her

completely Disinfected her terrarium top to bottom and all around

ordered a new UVB lamp, though something went wrong with the delivery so its gonna take a while, just in case the uvb i use for her is, Arcadia D3 Dragon 14% Reptile T5 115CM, its rate for 1 year, the old one is 7 months old, im gonna replace it just in case.

about the tank

temps:

warm side: 90f at bottom 105 at top. hydration goes between 15-24% during the day

cold side 79f at bottom 85f at top hydration between 31-40% during the day

the is a ventilator for air circulation (silent)

substrate: habistat bearded dragon bedding

plants: Aoe Vera, Calisia (in cold side)

View attachment 33712
She may have an upset stomach since she threw the roach up - how are you getting the surface basking temps--? It should be a digital probe thermometer- IR guns will not read off of hammocks- w/ the undigested bug tells me your surface basking temps are off- please keep her hydrated - they get the majority of their water thru the greens- you can drop water on her nose to see if she will lick - you have a good uvb- where is it in the tank? Inside or top of screen? The 14% bulb is very strong it needs a distance of 17-18 inches inside the tank w/ a fine mesh screen if it's a wide hole type it can stay on top w/ a distance of 12 -14 inches- basking decor directly under it- are you getting the humidity w/ a digital probe hygrometer? Analogs are inaccurate

Ragnaclock

Bearded Dragon Egg
She may have an upset stomach since she threw the roach up - how are you getting the surface basking temps--? It should be a digital probe thermometer- IR guns will not read off of hammocks- w/ the undigested bug tells me your surface basking temps are off- please keep her hydrated - they get the majority of their water thru the greens- you can drop water on her nose to see if she will lick - you have a good uvb- where is it in the tank? Inside or top of screen? The 14% bulb is very strong it needs a distance of 17-18 inches inside the tank w/ a fine mesh screen if it's a wide hole type it can stay on top w/ a distance of 12 -14 inches- basking decor directly under it- are you getting the humidity w/ a digital probe hygrometer? Analogs are inaccurate
Hello madam,
for the temps i use two digital thermometers/hydrometers in both ends of the terrarium (mostly for the hydration, and to notice shifts in temperature without the gun), and a digital temperature gun.
the uvb as you can see is inside the tank with a reflector , it is placed closer towards the front of the tank, and angled towards the back - so the light doesn't bother my eyes, and uvb radiation doesn't harm me.
i rent a big room but it is - my living / bed room bedroom and she stays with with me.
(im sorry im going on tangents, but people tend to be very aggro on improper animal care so im trying to be as detailed and honest as possible)
she drinks water if i drop it to her from my finger, or very rarely, while she's in a bath, during the entire 4 day black beard menace i have given her a 15 minute warm bath every day

it is indeed an upset stomach, the question is, because of what?
natural parasites? can i combat this without a vet without risking harm to my beloved Elizabeth?
BTW tank dimensions: 120x60x60cm or 47.64 x 24.02 x24.02 inches
the closest position for her for the uvb lamp is on the branch on the left and it about 25cm or 10 inches from the branch, sometimes she goes to bask there, not always.

don't mind the temperatures in the tank, these are night temperatures, i just light it up for a second for the pictures

https://inchescm.com/dimensions/121x61-cm-to-inches

Attachments

• 340638045_2432598786921090_2287190959517907563_n.jpg
    340638045_2432598786921090_2287190959517907563_n.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 341257975_202179529221764_4405124755313520200_n.jpg
    341257975_202179529221764_4405124755313520200_n.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello madam,
for the temps i use two digital thermometers/hydrometers in both ends of the terrarium (mostly for the hydration, and to notice shifts in temperature without the gun), and a digital temperature gun.
the uvb as you can see is inside the tank with a reflector , it is placed closer towards the front of the tank, and angled towards the back - so the light doesn't bother my eyes, and uvb radiation doesn't harm me.
i rent a big room but it is - my living / bed room bedroom and she stays with with me.
(im sorry im going on tangents, but people tend to be very aggro on improper animal care so im trying to be as detailed and honest as possible)
she drinks water if i drop it to her from my finger, or very rarely, while she's in a bath, during the entire 4 day black beard menace i have given her a 15 minute warm bath every day

it is indeed an upset stomach, the question is, because of what?
natural parasites? can i combat this without a vet without risking harm to my beloved Elizabeth?
BTW tank dimensions: 120x60x60cm or 47.64 x 24.02 x24.02 inches
the closest position for her for the uvb lamp is on the branch on the left and it about 25cm or 10 inches from the branch, sometimes she goes to bask there, not always.

don't mind the temperatures in the tank, these are night temperatures, i just light it up for a second for the pictures

https://inchescm.com/dimensions/121x61-cm-to-inches
Your getting ambient temps not actual surface basking temps-- please adjust your uvb so it's directed downward toward her-- 12-15 inches is recommended for distance- I would get her some probiotic for her upset stomach- but you need an actual surface basking temp to see what it is 95-100 is the goal - I would start there see if the undigested bugs clear up -

Ragnaclock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your getting ambient temps not actual surface basking temps-- please adjust your uvb so it's directed downward toward her-- 12-15 inches is recommended for distance- I would get her some probiotic for her upset stomach- but you need an actual surface basking temp to see what it is 95-100 is the goal - I would start there see if the undigested bugs clear up -
i'm using a digital thermometer gun for surface temps, and het hot region ranges between 90 -105f
i will readjust the uvb light and place it on top of the terrarium.
what kind of probiotics would you recommend? is Verm-x a good brand?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i'm using a digital thermometer gun for surface temps, and het hot region ranges between 90 -105f
i will readjust the uvb light and place it on top of the terrarium.
what kind of probiotics would you recommend? is Verm-x a good brand?
Let's ask Tracie she is the vet tech on this board- if your in the states you can order off her website- so your using a IR guns? Those can be off I recommend two digital probe thermometers zoo med makes them-- I can post the website for you- top of terrarium? Inside the tank or top of screen?
@Drache613

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Where are you located, NL as in Newfoundland, Canada?
How long had she been out of brumation, before she started eating?
Does she have any swelling on or around her fingers, toes, etc, like what gout would cause?
I haven't heard of Verm-x before, what type of probiotics do they have?
If she has worms or parasites, you can try getting some parsley, mint, cilantro & basil to help
naturally lower her levels.
Has she ever laid or developed infertile eggs?
A black beard for long periods of time indicates stress or discomfort so you definitely need to
monitor that right now. Elizabeth looks very good, overall!

Tracie

Ragnaclock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello again,
My I'm extremely lucky, and my dear Elizabeth seems to have recovered, her beard turned white again 4 days ago, yesterday she started eating, and today she's active, eating, pooping regular stool , and all white.
I will still bring her to the vet at the end of the month for a check up, but the worst seems to have passed!

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Wow, that is terrific news to hear about Elizabeth. So she is feeling better now?
Do let us know how things go at the vet appointment when you get her in.

Tracie

Latest posts