• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should I buy this bearded dragon off Craigslist?

Beardiebeth

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I’m new to bearded dragons and I’ve been reading up on them.

I found a 9 month old that is 13.5 inches in length and eating 4-6 large crickets a day along with a daily veggie mix. He has a big tank and a heat and uvb dual light.

My question is- is he underfed and too small for his age? He isn’t skinny at all. I’ve read about dragons half his age being that size and eating way more crickets than that. Is there any harm in buying him and feeding him more if that is the case?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's always buyer beware when it comes to craigslist.. He should be eating more than that at his age for sure..If you do get him once settled a vet check to be sure he's not got an underlying issue causing the small size..How much are they asking? do you have any pictures?

Beardiebeth

Bearded Dragon Egg
150 including everything.

Attachments

• 80225417-7A21-471E-BDBA-2B5EE2F141B5.jpeg
    80225417-7A21-471E-BDBA-2B5EE2F141B5.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 193
  • A25E6220-C719-44AE-BB48-C51E368874EE.jpeg
    A25E6220-C719-44AE-BB48-C51E368874EE.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 185

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Doesn't look to be in bad shape so thats good. 150 is a fair price. So they are using a MVB for. The heat and UVB then?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I asked about a uvb and heatlight. They said they had a dual light.
That fixture doesnt look big enough for a MVB so they likely only have a coil bulb in there. Which may be the reason its not bigger by now or eating like it should be. Lighting is key

Beardiebeth

Bearded Dragon Egg
So if his lighting hasn’t been sufficient would that be a reason not to buy him? Or will he be okay if I get the right lighting?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He looks small for 9 months but if lighting hasnt been ideal he's still young so he should be fine. You can see if he will take a pic of the bulb..I would bet it's a coil

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is there a certain amount of crickets he should be eating a day? Large?
A dragon his size should be fed med crickets and would likely eat 10-20 each feeding

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How many feedings a day? Thanks for all the help!
Young dragons should be fed 3 times a day . This dragon looks more like 6 months in age. You decrease feedings to 2 times a day closer to 10-12 months

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He doesn't look bad but as Hdrydr31 said, it should be eating much more at this age. The UVB light is a problem, but from the picture doesn't look like it's caused much damage to him. It's hard to tell his health from a photo.

BeardedKevin

Bearded Dragon Egg
My dragon Leezard was 6 months old when I got him. He was also small and hasn't really grown. He's now 6 years old he's doing well he's just small. The vets believe that there was a problem with his incubation process and the lighting can't have been great when he was tiny.
I personally wouldn't recommend a coil UVA bulb either you'd be better off with something like a 12% uva T5 strip bulb by Arcaida or Reptisun. I also personally wouldn't recommend the MVB as they can't be controlled with s Stat and get really hot too hot to bask.
1d5f5cddc387650e704102a74ac5f79a.jpg
2bf336ee3508e47c62e6c5416e23c415.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Latest posts