• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shipping

Miss Scarlett

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
New to this site, but not to bearded dragons. It has been a fun adventure so far with Miss Scarlett. She will be 4 years old this august! Anyway this fall I will be getting out of the military and moving across the US so i had some questions about shipping if anyone has any experience with it.

So with the shipping kit it says to use a cloth sack with larger reptiles. I would think she wouldn't fit into a plastic container since she is 16-18 inches long, however the sack seems inappropriate for a bearded dragon. So any input on this? I can follow directions for the heating pads and stuff I was just unsure about the idea of using a sack for a beardy. I also could have misinterpreted what they were trying to say.

Another question is about her terrarium. I will have to ship this as well but it will likely be a month or so behind her. Would a smaller enclosure be suitable as long as she still had the correct temps and extra time to run around? At the moment she has a 55gal breeder with 2 levels. I of course do not want to have to get another whole set up if I do not need to. The extra lights are fine as I prefer to have extra bulbs anyway.

Thanks for any input!

maxxdout

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow! You've got your work cut out for you! But kudos for not just giving her up due to a move. I see this ALOT! I unfortunately don't have answers to your questions, but I'm sure some more experienced folks will chime in. :)...welcome to the forum!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmm. A new situation. How are YOU gettin across the country? Could you take her with you? My PERSONAL (not professional) opinion is that a small vivarium as a temp option would be acceptable. Not ideal - but acceptable. Would love to see a photo of your 2 level set up!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I was going to ask the same thing Canicke did, how are YOU getting across the country? If you could bring her with you that would be a lot better than shipping her.

Miss Scarlett

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you :)
I will be driving from washington state to virginia beach. I am however planning on camping for much of the trip so that will not work out at all for her. So the plan was to ship her there first and have her set up with a smaller set up and having a friend feed and check on her while we road trip across the states. She would be express over nighted there.

For her enclosure, I do not have any pictures, but I guess it is more like a 1.5 level one now that I think of it. I used tile on half of the bottom floor and for the upper level. She has a cave under the upper level with a towel in it, she likes to sleep on soft things and will even go to sleep on the couch with me watching a movie :) and of course a branch. I did have a little cactus in her enclosure for a bit but she kept knocking it over and digging at it so I took it out. I may try a cactus again later but for not she just has her branch down there.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What an awesome trip! What base were you at in Wa? I gotta agree that camping is probably not best for your beardie. Cant give any advise on shipping - sorry. Pls let us know what you do and how she fares.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds like a great trip! Let us know how the shipping works out.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My dad was in the army and stationed in Washington. He still talks about how beautiful it was there and how fun the train trip was getting there and back!

maxxdout

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Would love to take s cross country road trip...8 pets and a kid doesn't allow for it though lol best of luck to you in your travels :)

Miss Scarlett

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just realized I had more replies :p
I love Washington it is the best place I have ever lived, if you love the outdoors I would suggest visiting. Everywhere you look you are surrounded by mountains, I am really ad to be leaving. I will let everyone know how she handles shipping, though I would think she would be fine :) Especially over nighted.

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
I agree that shipping her in advance would be the best. That's tough because they don't thrive in our ambient temperature. I wouldn't be concerned about anything besides temp.

P.S. I've lived both places (currently in Washington). They are both beautiful but in different ways.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; I would use a shipping pad for her temps and keep them stable and for her food-leave 2-plastic glued down containers and that will keep her hydrated for shipping as sometimes it can be very tuff on them. Salad and some food. hope it helps some and you can buy heat pads at most reptile store they are for shipping.they have them that last for up to 72-hours. That is how the shops ship reptiles=ie; beardies.river-7

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey - howd miss scarlet do on her travels? Did YOU have a good trip?

Latest posts