• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding

JessicaHaverty

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi guys,

How often is my little guy supposed to be shedding? I have had him for just over a month and he has already shed at least three times completely. Is that normal?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Jessica, it depends on how much they are growing, they do tend to shed a lot when they are tiny with it slowing down as they get bigger. I wouldnt worry about it :)

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Gobi is shedding for the umpteenth time now, too. But I am noticing a change in his shedding pattern. Now, it's feet, back of legs. tail and snout area of his head. As he was growing though (we've had him since a 2-month-old hatchling) he would shed all. of. the. time! It seems like when he was JUST done, it started all over again. But I also now see his shedding becoming less frequent, now that he is older.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yoda is shedding now (been coming for nearly 2 weeks, has lost 8 grams and has been very dull), anyway Yoda can take 10 days to shed completely. As missy said, l am also noticing a change. Just make sure you DO NOT help the shedding process by peeling it off. Lots of long nice warm baths.

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yoda is shedding now (been coming for nearly 2 weeks, has lost 8 grams and has been very dull), anyway Yoda can take 10 days to shed completely. As missy said, l am also noticing a change. Just make sure you DO NOT help the shedding process by peeling it off. Lots of long nice warm baths.

Great point! NO HELPING! That can actually damage the new layer underneath. Baths are WELL favored by beardies and it does help. Also I use a soft-bristled TOOTHBRUSH to help get stuck-on-food off his chin, and it gives a nice message. Be sure to go WITH the scales. If shedding in an area, go OPPOSITE the direction of the shed (i.e. go UP the tail, not down if skin is peeling back away from the body).

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was wondering this same thing recently, ive had mine for nearly 2 months and only 1 shed so far.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Draco is a baby, still not sure of exact age, the pet store had several diff sizes when I got him from 2.5"-6.5"which was how big mine was appx (6.5")when I got him. I havent measured him since, hes grown just since his last shed but not much (but hes had a poor appetite for a while, its just now becoming normal)..he is maybe 7" now. Hes not friendly enough to consistantly measure so im just being patient with him, either way not sure how old that makes him but def a baby lol.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If he had a poor apetite that be why he not shed or grew very much, if he is eating now you should begin to see a difference in both his shedding and size. Good luck :)

Latest posts