• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding Tips?

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys,

Now Jethro has only shed his tail from what I can see. That was a week or so ago. Now though, he looks like he's shedding his head and neck/shoulder area. I was told and have read that it's best not to help them by picking it off because it may not be completely "shed" skin and could hurt them. That they have to do it on their own. But I also read the things that you can do to help them is give them a warm bath, and make sure they have some sort of "toys" in the tanks that will help them shed. He has a branch thing I got at PetCo, and a basking ramp, and his rock bowl water dish. He seems to want to try to use the paper towels though to help him shed. Which by the way, the little guy decided to scare the crap out of me last night by completely disappearing in his tank! I didn't have a clue where he was, his top of the cage was on and all but I couldn't find him! I freaked 'till I pulled the paper towels back and there he was, snoozing >_>

But yea, any other advice on what I should do to help him with the shedding process would be great. Also I've noticed that he seems to shed the same time my leopard gecko sheds (NOT IN THE SAME TANK), but I noticed this morning that Merlin was shedding and was like awee well at least it won't take too long for him, but with Jethro, I know it's going to be annoying for him till it's over with!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
To be honest i wouldnt worry about it to much i dont do anything to aid them in shedding other then my normal soaks and they all do fine.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm okay, he keeps staring at me like, "HELP!" and it just worries me, I have given him his bath, which he hated, but hopefully that will help. I just hope he doesn't lose his appetite. I know that some do, but I'm hoping that he won't.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
just got home from grocery shopping and looked in jessie tank to see him shedding for the first time and took this pic of him
0827111558.jpg
0827111559.jpg

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
LM: I'm not an expert, but I do help my guy shed. I use a soft baby toothbrush. However, I wait until his shed is really dry and pealing pretty good before I brush him. I start by giving my guy a warm soak and while he is in the water, I gently brush his finer points = mouth, face nose, toes - wherever needed. I don't do his body that often cuz that usually works itself off on its own fairly well. I never pull the skin off as it only stand to reason that it would probaby hurt, especially the softer spots (neck, tummy, pits, vent). The toothbrush really works well but it is probably NOT necessary. It especially works for the nose & ear plugs, which can be a little tricky to come off by themselves.

Again, wait until the shed is pretty well on its way to coming off on its own before you try brushing, otherwise you may have to do it several times. During their 1st year they shed every 4-6 weeks or so. As adults, its far less often, so by then you should have the steps down pat - if any (your choice).

PS - the brush works really well for clean ups too. If your dragon is a messy eater a little warm water and a quick brush makes them look shiny and new again in know time! My guy doesn't mind me brushing him at all but each dragon is different and it may take a while (assuming you try it) to get your's use to it.

Best of luck

Cheers

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well looks like he got most of the shed off from what I can tell but I think he may still have some on his toes, I can't tell though. How do you help them get it off their toes? And man he was super frustrated yesterday, kept looking at me like "MOM HELP ME!" I wanted to, but the only thing I did was give him a bath every once in awhile to help him out. Like five minute period baths throughout the day.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea thanks for all the advice, the shedding went well and he just shed his tail a few days ago, so I think he may be up for a full body shed coming up soon, not sure. That's how it happened last time, tail first, then the rest later. He absolutely hates it when I put him in for a bath, he calms down a little but then wants out a minute or so afterwards. >_<

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yoda takes about 10 days in total to shed. First his legs, then tail. He then has a day break and his head shoulders, back and belly. I tend to bath everyday whilst this is happens. i DO NOT help by pulling the shed off. Think of it like sunburn. You start peeling and pull the skin off that's not ready and it hurts like a paper cut.

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Basically you are doing all that you can do. Nature like someone else said, just has to take it's course. Mist, bathe and give things like cork bark limbs as scratching posts...And remember DO NOT PULL THE SKIN OFF FOR THEM!!...You can damage the new, underlying skin in the process and do more damage/harm than help/do good.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks, I remembered reading that somewhere else before, and I have not attempted to help pull off any shed skin. He hasn't acted like he's about to do the full body shed just yet, so I don't know what that means. Why would he shed his tail then not his body? He did that last time, first the tail, then the body a few days later. I don't get it. Oh and the weirdest thing when my leopard gecko shed a few days ago. Normally he eats all his shed skin, though this time, there was a little left over, a perfect outline of the top of his head. I was like, dang, usually he eats it all. He also grabbed hold of paper towels from his moist hide, I don't think he actually ate it, just bit it, thinking it was part of his shedding skin maybe? Not sure, but he seems to be doing just fine. A little more active now at night, letting me hold him and all, but he's not as interested in food as he used to be. Not unless you put it directly in front of him to "hunt".

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm just more new interesting facts about beardies, ah well, he's eating and going to the bathroom and all that. Do some of your beardies go twice a day? Sometimes Jethro goes twice a day, but not always. And do any of yours use their FOOD bowl as a restroom with food still in it? Sometimes Jethro does that too, aggravates the snot out of me. I know he can't really help it but geesh. He has plenty of paper towels (clean) to use, but loves his food bowl and water bowl >_<

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When they are babies, they go EVERYWHERE...even in food and water dishes. And on your nice clean pants and shirt. :confused:

Gobi is now 9 months old and is not wanting to go in his viv. He does all he can to "hold it" and try to make a mad dash to the outside world (as in the rest of the house in free roam) to potty. Which also means that as of last night, my downstairs couch in the family area got "christened". Today was my kitchen floor. :(

As they mature, BD's seem to dislike messing in their own "home" and wish to mess in YOUR home, instead.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mine likes to go in the bathtub! Everytime I have been concerned about not going regularly, just leave him in the tub for an extra few minutes and BAM! there it is!! LOL!! (better than my couch, lap or the carpet!)

I got a soft-bristled toothbrush for tubby time too. works great to massage/clean him all up! when he was shedding last, i also used the brush to drip water onto the areas that seemed stuck. didn't pick or rub those areas, just made sure they got at least a little wet in the tub, and by the next day he had no areas "stuck"

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL yea Jethro decided my laptop would be his bathroom one day. I was like, REALLY DUDE!? REALLY!? Needless to say he got put back in the tank and I cleaned my laptop up immediately. I know getting upset won't help much so I do my best to just kind of laugh at it and not make a big deal out of it. When your critters go in the tub, how do you clean it up so it's safe for humans to go into again? Just use regular Comet after cleaning up the "mess" they may make?

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL yea Jethro decided my laptop would be his bathroom one day. I was like, REALLY DUDE!? REALLY!? Needless to say he got put back in the tank and I cleaned my laptop up immediately. I know getting upset won't help much so I do my best to just kind of laugh at it and not make a big deal out of it. When your critters go in the tub, how do you clean it up so it's safe for humans to go into again? Just use regular Comet after cleaning up the "mess" they may make?
I buy those containers of Clorox or Lysol wipes. Love those things!!!
I always make sure to rinse the tub good Before i put the dragon in; make sure there's no soap, shampoo, cleaners, etc. LOL, my tub has Never stayed this clean!!!

Latest posts