• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding -- Spike Issues

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
My Breadie has just finished shedding his body section top and under side but seems to be having issue with one set of side spikes that are rather large and close together it appears they are not fully shed. I believe this because the spikes are darker yellow and appears there is some dry skin still in between them and just above the area that should have shed off. He does not like bathing and I have been sprinkling with a mister to moisten the area but as its been a couple days and is still not looking like any progress thought I would reach out for some advice -- I have tried gently picking at it but I don't want to hurt him -- he allows it but he slightly flinches so thinking it hurts him. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to remove the stuck shed in between the side spikes? I will soak him if that is the only way even if he doesn't like it but didn't know if there were any products available to held them with shedding or if maybe continue to work on the area with something like a very soft tooth brush over the area to try and remove it gently is the way to go? Bathing really stresses him out and he fights to get out of the bath and I read about making sure the water is the right temps etc. but he does not like it regardless however he does enjoy a good misting which is what I have been doing. I would be thankful for any advice as he is my first breadie and not sure how to resolve this in the best manner for him. He is about 11 inches long and probably around 8 month old would be my best guess not sure of his weight but he is a pretty big guy. His enclosure has the UVB and heat light for basking and is 40 gal. his diet is usually mustard greens and crickets (calcium three times a week on the crickets) with a few worms here and there as treats.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My girl always hated baths too until I put her in the tub with a resin branch. Even she feels too stressed in the water she knows she has a safety zone. The toothbrush idea is great. Make sure that it's a baby toothbrush or one labeled extra soft. Let him soak a bit and then run it very gently over the area use the same motion as if you were petting him. After going this a few times the skin should come off!

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
My girl always hated baths too until I put her in the tub with a resin branch. Even she feels too stressed in the water she knows she has a safety zone. The toothbrush idea is great. Make sure that it's a baby toothbrush or one labeled extra soft. Let him soak a bit and then run it very gently over the area use the same motion as if you were petting him. After going this a few times the skin should come off!
Thanks much I will make some time this weekend to try and get him in the bath will try the branch in there with him to see if that helps!!

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well I tried the soaking for the spikes worked a little bit and he now seems to enjoy a soaking in the tub after a couple times. I have a new issue so taking him to the vet in the a.m. -- some kind of yellow pus crusty thing has developed over where the spike issue is so I am not taking any chances as I don't know what this is and it is above my skill level to know what to do for him so hopefully the vet can fix him up. Picture of the area is below there is a larger yellow ball area and then another smaller patch of lighter yellow a little further up on the same side. If anyone has any idea on what this might be or what causes this please let me know -- I know it is outside my skill level so I am seeking out the vet.
dragon dec 17 001.JPG

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah, this is outside my skill level too. Whatever that yellow stuff is, it doesn't look good. I would take him to the vet.

Latest posts