• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing a yound BD?

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
:) Just wondering if someone might be able to give me a rough idea of Boomer's sex? Im sorry the picture isnt the best If I need to try and get better pictures I can do so, just whatever you guys say really. He/she is only 13/14 weeks old, and I understand its easier to tell the sex when they are bigger. I *think* Boomer might be female, but this is my 1st time visually sexing a beardie so I could possibly be completely wrong lol.

DSCF7339.JPG

Cheers guys :) xx

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
Ok fab. I managed to get a couple of better pictures with the tail etc at 90 degree angle.. Hope these are any better?
DSCF7346.JPG
DSCF7345.JPG

(ps thank you)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
By my guess I would have to say female. But you are there I am not. I think if you look closely at the video you should be able to have a better idea because you are there and can see more clearly

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much :) I think female too going by what I can see on the video. Thank you for the link btw, I would never have thought to hold the tail like that. I would be worried I would damage the wee thing lol :) But the video showed me how and its all good ;) I do think Boomer is infact a lady ;) Still, Boomer is an acceptable name for her lol.

Thanks Germ :)

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
she did seem rather unnerved hahaha. Even the hubby made a comment similar to yours. She can rest assured I wont be poking and prodding her anymore in that dept lol! xx

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
i would agree with germ on this one!! looks like a female but not sure the video germ gave you will help you alot more then me but if i had to guess female...the second picture is cute how she looks back!!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You'll know for sure when Boomer is bigger. We were sure Aussie was a girl, but it's pretty obvious now that he isn't. While there is no definitive way to sex a juvenile bearded dragon, there are signs. I didn't watch the video, but I'm sure some are mentioned, while others may not be. A couple things to look for...males have very predominant pores on the inside of each back leg. They look like pimples. In the first picture you posted, I think I might see them. Also, the "vent" is slightly different in shape. On females, it will come to a distinct V, while makes are more rounded. I found the sex of my little ones the WRONG way, as I'm sure Germ will agree. I had them in the same enclosure. They're both okay (and separated now), but that was the confirmation for me. They're both asleep right now, but I'll post some pictures later, so you can see the differences between but dragon and girl dragon. I might even try to make my first video on the subject! Fun times.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The femoral pores method, is highly unreliable, as both male & female can have them. Ones being larger than the other, is only relative when you have something to compare it to. They are not always the same size & vary from BD to BD. Femoral pores can be quite prevalent on female also. So I repeat, this is a very poor sexing method. The only reasonably reliable method of sexing & will often depend on the BDs age, how experienced the eye is, as to how accurate IT is, is the one shown in the video looking for the presence of Hemipene bulges, short of physically probing it. Something that the inexperienced keeper should never attempt on their own. I never have & never will.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree Germ. The femoral pores on my two are very obviously different, as are the "vents". I thought seeing mine side by side might help a little. Honestly, I would say just love your little buddie. Gender is unimportant. :D

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts