• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Set-Up Advice

mdown071

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I could really use some help. We have had Blaze for a month. She is approx 3 months old. She was being fed crickets, then BFSL added. She's never been a huge eater and always wanted to be tong fed. On Sunday we had added a terrarium background, and on Monday she wasn't eating and she has continued to not really eat. She's had maybe about 5 worms since Monday. She always has salad available but has never eaten it. She seemed more skittish all of a sudden too, so I thought maybe she was stressed from the change, but it hasn't gotten better. We took down the background but then she seemed skittish by the reflection. So I decided today to put up a different background since we needed to make some changes to her tank so figured to do it all at once. She's in a 40 gallon Thrive terrarium. I bought a different lid since I heard the Thrive ones are bad for UVB. I was using an Arcadia 14% UVB but just realized it's too much for a 40 gallon so I just went and got the 12%. We also just changed her basking spot today as I had been told using rock is better (we had been using a plastic branch, the one that's shown in the picture). I couldn't get pavers to prop it up cause it's winter here so we are using wood blocks until spring. The basking area is 11" from the UVB . I was using a 100 watt incandescent basking bulb but read halogens are better so I've been using that today. Ambient Temps have always been on point. Here's my current dilemma. Today the ambient temp with the halogen bulb are actually lower than they should be, but the basking area with the slate is too hot (was around 118 with my temp gun). How can I lower the basking temp while keeping her within range for the UVB? And why might the ambient Temp be lower?? Also any idea about the lack of eating? I've left worms and her salad in there but she hasn't touched it. I'm stressed!

Attachments

• 20230106_161558.jpg
    20230106_161558.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230106_161603.jpg
    20230106_161603.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I forgot to mention, the dome on the right is a CHE which is only on at night.
Please show me your screen -- this will determine the placement and distance for your UVB - please get two digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps- IR guns are good but certain materials will give in accurate readings - for her you want 105-110 surface basking temps --- incandescent bulbs are good for basking and cheaper -- please get the digital probes and get a more accurate reading then go from there -- slate gets hot -- I have had a lot of people have issues w/ slate as a basking decor piece -- as far as her not eating shes more than likely going thru relocation stress and w/ the back ground you put up probably added to more stress --- is she sporting stress marks? Once you get the UVB correctly placed w/ distance and correct surface basking temps she will adjust quicker - if shes eating thats good its when they quit eating all together is a problem -- she should be eating A LOT babies eat a ton because they are growing - are you feeding salads ? She needs those every morning ---

mdown071

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please show me your screen -- this will determine the placement and distance for your UVB - please get two digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps- IR guns are good but certain materials will give in accurate readings - for her you want 105-110 surface basking temps --- incandescent bulbs are good for basking and cheaper -- please get the digital probes and get a more accurate reading then go from there -- slate gets hot -- I have had a lot of people have issues w/ slate as a basking decor piece -- as far as her not eating shes more than likely going thru relocation stress and w/ the back ground you put up probably added to more stress --- is she sporting stress marks? Once you get the UVB correctly placed w/ distance and correct surface basking temps she will adjust quicker - if shes eating thats good its when they quit eating all together is a problem -- she should be eating A LOT babies eat a ton because they are growing - are you feeding salads ? She needs those every morning ---

I do hav2 digital e

Please show me your screen -- this will determine the placement and distance for your UVB - please get two digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps- IR guns are good but certain materials will give in accurate readings - for her you want 105-110 surface basking temps --- incandescent bulbs are good for basking and cheaper -- please get the digital probes and get a more accurate reading then go from there -- slate gets hot -- I have had a lot of people have issues w/ slate as a basking decor piece -- as far as her not eating shes more than likely going thru relocation stress and w/ the back ground you put up probably added to more stress --- is she sporting stress marks? Once you get the UVB correctly placed w/ distance and correct surface basking temps she will adjust quicker - if shes eating thats good its when they quit eating all together is a problem -- she should be eating A LOT babies eat a ton because they are growing - are you feeding salads ? She needs those every morniI ng ---

Hi, I do have 2 digital thermometers with probes. One on the cool side and one on the warm side. I only use the gun for measuring her actual basking surface. She has never eaten a lot, never as much as it says they should. We feed her 4-5 times a day and let her eat all she wants. And yes, she has access to salad every day but doesn't seem to touch it, even with vee pollen. It's hard to tell if she has stress marks, I don't 100% know what they look like. I'll take a picture of the screen.

Attachments

• 20230106_203935.jpg
    20230106_203935.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230106_203939.jpg
    20230106_203939.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is a wide holed type- please get a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 8-10 inches-- show me her belly please-- get some bsfl www.symtonbsf.com order large - use those as salad lures- drop them in her salads in front of her first feeding of the day- you will need a bowl to keep them in I can post a link for you - please use the probes for the surface basking temps--

mdown071

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is a wide holed type- please get a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 8-10 inches-- show me her belly please-- get some bsfl www.symtonbsf.com order large - use those as salad lures- drop them in her salads in front of her first feeding of the day- you will need a bowl to keep them in I can post a link for you - please use the probes for the surface basking temps--

She was eating BFSL. I've tried putting them in her salad, nothing. Before she went on this eating strike she was beng tong

mdown071

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have BSFL. She was eating them before. I've tried putting them in her salad, no luck.

Before the went on this not eating strike she would eat them by tong feeding. Sometimes if I set them right in front of her then she would eat them herself. If I'm already having an issue with the basking spot being too hot, if I move it even higher go be closer to the UVB won't that make the basking spot even more hot?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have BSFL. She was eating them before. I've tried putting them in her salad, no luck.

Before the went on this not eating strike she would eat them by tong feeding. Sometimes if I set them right in front of her then she would eat them herself. If I'm already having an issue with the basking spot being too hot, if I move it even higher go be closer to the UVB won't that make the basking spot even more hot?
The uvb does not give off enough heat to make the basking spot hotter- it's when you increase the wattage --lower the bulb or use a decor piece that heats up - wow usually babies go for the bsfl- you can try using some super worms but only 3 and every other day-- they are a treat worm you don't want her getting hooked on them-- you can use dubia roaches in the salad as lures too -

mdown071

Bearded Dragon Egg
The uvb does not give off enough heat to make the basking spot hotter- it's when you increase the wattage --lower the bulb or use a decor piece that heats up - wow usually babies go for the bsfl- you can try using some super worms but only 3 and every other day-- they are a treat worm you don't want her getting hooked on them-- you can use dubia roaches in the salad as lures too -

Sadly I'm i Canada and Dubia roaches are illegal

Heres the link for the bowl

Thank you.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok then maybe get some silk worms -- they stick to everything
https://www.thewormlady.ca/
google live insects for bearded dragons in Ca and see what you come up with for websites I know there are a few this was the only link I have

Latest posts