• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Serious question about poop??

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Ok Dino woke up yesterday and I gave him a warm bath and just today he pooped. He has not ate anything since he woke up and so today I took him out for some natural sunlight but he seemed to not enjoy it because he stayed so dark colored and to me this meant that he was not happy and or stressed. Anywho he pooped today in his greens and it was a whole butterworm??? What is wrong with him and what can I do??? The only time he brightens up and is active is when I had it to where he could see Keena but he still would not eat. I am seriously at a loss.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Off hand I would say the obvious in that if he indeed passed a whole undigested feeder he has some digestion issues.
The culprit could simply be that your temps are off and that he is not getting the proper amount of UV in his enclosure that he needs.
He needs those right to be able to digest food in the first place.
That would also explain his turning dark when you took him outside today for some natural sunlight. Dragons do that in order to soak up more heat and more UV instead of it being because he didn't like being out in the Sun.
I would recheck his basking temp and would probably buy a fresh new 10.0 UV bulb and also I would treat him to the natural sunlight as much as I could. Although we can reproduce UV to a degree in their enclosures nothing can beat the real deal. I would then probably watch him and his poops over the next few days to see if any other live prey or food item are still passing through undigested and for any other signs of stress.
It could be a simple one time occurrence but if it continues or he does show any signs of stress or distress I would suggest a visit to your vet for a check up.
Hope that helps and keep us updated:)
Enjoy!

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Mungi. His UV bulb is brand new since he is out of brumation after 4 months on and off his bulb has been off. His basking temp is right at 100 but he will not stay on it to bask. I think that worm was there from when he went into brumation because the last time he went to sleep I could not get him to poop for nothing so I am not sure if that makes a difference or not? To me if his system shuts down when in brumation he will not digest nothing. I am not quite sure why he will not eat anything at all. I just bought butter worms but they are not shipping out until Monday so he will not have those for a while. I tried Dubia, crickets, wax worms, super worms, mealworms and he will not eat anything. No greens either.ugh he is sure my problem child.

We will try more outside UV , I am use to my chameleons colors getting really bright when he goes outside, I guess beardies are different.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I wasn't aware that he was brumating and you are right that when they brumate their digestive system basically shuts off. I find it hard to believe though that the worm would have not spoiled and gone rancid during that 4 month time. If that is the case he would be a very sick dragon.
That's why if they wake for a snack while in brumation its really important that if they then go back to sleep before it is eliminated then you generally would want to start soaking daily or a couple of times a day until they do have a bowel movement.
I have had that issue with Mungi in the past because his brumation is not a deep long sleep thing but just lots of long naps and staying away from the basking and UV light side of his enclosure. He does on occasion get up and wander a bit and eat every so often. I watch though and make sure that food does fully process.
If your dragon is still brumating then that could be why he avoids his basking and UV lamps. Also if he has just started coming out of it then it is normal that he may not have any real appetite for awhile.
Were it me and if he is for sure out of his brumation then pretty much what I said previously would still hold and be what I would do.
I would also recommend bumping his basking spot temp up to 105F which is on the high end recommended for adult dragons so that when he does sneak over there to bask for a few moments when you aren't looking then he and his metabolism both warm up quicker.
Enjoy!:)

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I took him outside for natural sunlight for about 1hr today and then put him back in his habitat and then he climbed off his basking spot and layed down right beside it falling asleep so I imagine tomorrow I will keep everything turned off again and just let him sleep his life away. I love him but at the same time he is beginning to loose my patience. He came to me so sick and I just think hes not going to get any better. I am beginning to think it is a no win situation with him. If his breeder was local I would give him back to him ...sigh

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Every keeper has moments when they feel frustrated and totally ready to throw their hands up. It's a very taxing thing dealing with creatures that have no voice. But those moments are just that...just moments and they too will pass.:)
Could be that having had all that natural sunlight earlier that when you put him back in his enclosure he had had enough light and UV for the day. I can't say I blame for hopping off the basking spot and finding a comfy spot to nap...I've been known to take a few naps in the afternoon on occasion after spending some time outside under the hot Sun too:D
Hope tomorrow is a brighter day for you both!
Enjoy

Latest posts