• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Senior Beardies

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
I adopted 3 Senior BD's from a No Kill Shelter last year. They are approximately 11-13 years old. I know they came from schools that lost their funding and had lived at the shelter for 2 years before I "rescued them." One of my females spend all night and all morning in the water dish. I wasn't concerned because I thought she was trying to relieve herself. When I went to feed her this morning (yes, she gets fed while in the bath) she filled her food bowl with saliva. Is this normal? She hasn't had her head in the water that I saw but she has had two baths in the last 5 days.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wish I knew more about this. It's possible that maybe she put her head in the water when you weren't around and she got a little too much water in her and threw it up. Does it look like she has mucus in her mouth or bubbles coming out of her nose? Those would be signs of a upper respiratory infection. When you feed her this morning did she eat? If she ate and she's pooping normally and there's no mucus I would just keep an eye on her to see if she does it again.

BTW, they look like gorgeous dragons! Good for you for rescuing them!

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much for your swift reply. I think they are gorgeous in fact the one under the log won the Most Bootiful Reptile at my local Petco in October.

I checked on her at lunch and she seemed like her typical sleepy self. Some of her food was gone. (We feed her the premade pink beardie food because she doesn't see well enough to catch anything moving.) I can't promise she's the one who ate it but it does seem reasonable since the other two ate normally this morning. I didn't see anything come out her nose and it didn't look really thick like mucus but she must have drooled a teaspoon this morning. I'll keep an eye on her and keep you posted.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Awe, we took our girl Dexter to that and when we got there it had been cancelled! She did win the Halooween costume contest a few weeks later so that made up for it!

It sounds like your girl will be okay. Keep us updated.

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
My Danzi seemed fine this morning. I'll check her again on my lunch hour.

She's such a trooper. She can only see out of one eye very well so she can't catch anything to eat but she's the MOST docile dragon I've ever met. Even when my male is going crazy and running over the top of the females, she just lays there until he's calmed down.

Latest posts