• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Seeking Advice for a senior beardie

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, looking for advice for my senior bearded dragon. She’s a 10 year old female. I got her as a baby so I know her like the back of my hand. She’s Always been very healthy, happy, and energetic, with a strong appetite.

At the end of last year, she went into brumation for about 2 months. It went well, she didn’t lose any weight, and she popped back up and joined the land of the living as expected.

However, not long after she awoke, her body started cooking up eggs. She has never been bred or even near a male, so they’re not fertile eggs. She has had 2-3 clutches of around 23 eggs every year since she was 5 years old. She is an expert by now and has always laid these eggs without issue. It’s always been common for her to lay a few random eggs before she lays a bunch at once, and then lays a few afterwards. Not sure if that’s common for other beardies but it’s her normal.

But man, this round is taking a toll on her. She laid around 15 eggs, and then afterwards started losing weight and looking dehydrated. Her fat pads have sunk in and top of her tail is looking bony. During the day she is a bit lethargic and closes her eyes sometimes like she’s uncomfortable. Most concerning for me is that she doesn’t have much of an appetite.

I have been offering veggies as always. But she’s not touching them. I am giving her a couple of baths every single day where she is drinking a lot of water. She is having bowel movements so I don’t think she’s impacted, although they seem dehydrated despite her water intake. I have been offering both dubia and superworms (gut loaded and dusted with calcium and multivitamin) which she will eat some of every few days. I have resorted to giving her some slurries which she seems to be fine with. And she is still popping out a well formed, healthy looking egg every few days so I’m not convinced she’s egg bound.

Problem is she just keeps making eggs. Every time I feel around on her stomach, I can feel more eggs. It seems like making them is just taking a toll on her old body. I can’t seem to get any weight on her. I’m so heartbroken seeing her so skinny and uncomfortable. I’m terrified I’m going to lose her over this.

I’m doing really all I can think of for her. I can’t magically make her stop producing eggs. Does anyone have ANY advice they can throw at me? Does anyone have experience with a bearded dragon laying eggs this late in life? Do they ever stop?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, looking for advice for my senior bearded dragon. She’s a 10 year old female. I got her as a baby so I know her like the back of my hand. She’s Always been very healthy, happy, and energetic, with a strong appetite.

At the end of last year, she went into brumation for about 2 months. It went well, she didn’t lose any weight, and she popped back up and joined the land of the living as expected.

However, not long after she awoke, her body started cooking up eggs. She has never been bred or even near a male, so they’re not fertile eggs. She has had 2-3 clutches of around 23 eggs every year since she was 5 years old. She is an expert by now and has always laid these eggs without issue. It’s always been common for her to lay a few random eggs before she lays a bunch at once, and then lays a few afterwards. Not sure if that’s common for other beardies but it’s her normal.

But man, this round is taking a toll on her. She laid around 15 eggs, and then afterwards started losing weight and looking dehydrated. Her fat pads have sunk in and top of her tail is looking bony. During the day she is a bit lethargic and closes her eyes sometimes like she’s uncomfortable. Most concerning for me is that she doesn’t have much of an appetite.

I have been offering veggies as always. But she’s not touching them. I am giving her a couple of baths every single day where she is drinking a lot of water. She is having bowel movements so I don’t think she’s impacted, although they seem dehydrated despite her water intake. I have been offering both dubia and superworms (gut loaded and dusted with calcium and multivitamin) which she will eat some of every few days. I have resorted to giving her some slurries which she seems to be fine with. And she is still popping out a well formed, healthy looking egg every few days so I’m not convinced she’s egg bound.

Problem is she just keeps making eggs. Every time I feel around on her stomach, I can feel more eggs. It seems like making them is just taking a toll on her old body. I can’t seem to get any weight on her. I’m so heartbroken seeing her so skinny and uncomfortable. I’m terrified I’m going to lose her over this.

I’m doing really all I can think of for her. I can’t magically make her stop producing eggs. Does anyone have ANY advice they can throw at me? Does anyone have experience with a bearded dragon laying eggs this late in life? Do they ever stop?

Thank you kindly in advance.
I 've got some someone looking at your post thats more experienced w/ older dragons than I

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I 've got some someone looking at your post thats more experienced w/ older dragons than I
Aw, poor girl. You're doing all the right things for her so hopefully she'll have them all laid soon and her appetite will return. If you have a good reptile vet you might ask about a shot of Oxytocin that can stimulate the egg laying. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Aw, poor girl. You're doing all the right things for her so hopefully she'll have them all laid soon and her appetite will return. If you have a good reptile vet you might ask about a shot of Oxytocin that can stimulate the egg laying. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing.
Unfortunately I have never found an exotics vet in my area that seemed like they knew even a fraction of what I know about bearded dragons.
But I’m glad to hear I’m doing the right things. I just keep thinking if she would just quit growing eggs, everything would be fine. Thanks for the reply!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unfortunately I have never found an exotics vet in my area that seemed like they knew even a fraction of what I know about bearded dragons.
But I’m glad to hear I’m doing the right things. I just keep thinking if she would just quit growing eggs, everything would be fine. Thanks for the reply!
Try this website if your in a small town / are use a bigger cities ZIP code
www.arav.org

Latest posts