• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sealing Tiles?

shorthome

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We have just switched to tile from the reptile carpet; they are the red clay textured type tiles, do you have to seal these tiles?

if so what do you seal them with?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No you don't... Many just leave them unsealed to the enclosure, so they can remove as needed and cleanse them... I did however, seal mine in, using 100% silicone. I have a steam cleaner so that was the best option for me... Once the tiles are in, I go back and run a bead of silicone around the gaps to fill in and completely moisture lock the tiles.
Janie

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I use tiles too but chose not to seal them this way i can pop them out and clean them well and the bottom of the tank , plus its easier to move the tank without them there as its very heavy otherwise, however if you choose not to seal them in just remember no matter how tight a fit they are urine and germs /bacteria can get under the tiles and need to be cleaned I pull mine out about once a month for a deep clean.

shorthome

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks, I think I am going to keep them loose in the tank.

I was also concerned about the surface, because they are clay and textured they are untreated; they are porous. Didn't know if I should treat the surface to seal them to prevent them harbouring bacteria?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah... I misunderstood your question. Yes, you would need to seal those tiles themselves to prevent the bacteria from "lingering" on. Now as to what to use ???
I'm not sure, though I would think that polyurethane would seal the tiles...
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not a fan of sealing the tiles. I put papertowels under mine and regularly replaced the papertowels. You can lift the tiles out and give them a deep down cleaning weekly and spot clean as needed.

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
GREAT idea on the towels under the tiles something so obvious but never would have thought , thanks ill be doing that when i pull mine out to clean this week.:)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad you liked it. :) Anything to make cleaning up more easy!

toast7887

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I actually put my repti carpet under my tiles and just clean that when crap gets between the cracks of the tiles

Latest posts