• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sealing Foam Background

Vynzent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, what would be a good product to seal foam?
So that it can't be destroyed by dragon claws or insect teeth?

I am thinking of buying one of those exo terra foam backgrounds and I want to cover it with a layer of something that will be solid, durable as well as clear. Waterproof is a plus.

Also, those foam backgrounds are easy enough to cut to size, right? Being foam and all.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I hear a lot of people use mod podge. It’s not waterproof, but if it gets wet, it redries back to clear. I’m not sure what else is used on foam.

Caren Sealover

Bearded Dragon Egg
A55D539C-D0D7-4ABA-9EA8-9E7B1D7ECF9E.jpeg
I used a water-based polycrylic sealant on mine and so far so good. Only been in use a month, but seems like it will hold up. My understanding is polyurethane has more chemicals so not as safe to use. I also washed it down real well after letting it completely dry for a few days. And it does not soften when it gets wet. I put on many thin coats so each layer would dry thoroughly.

Vynzent

Bearded Dragon Egg
I used a water-based polycrylic sealant on mine and so far so good. Only been in use a month, but seems like it will hold up. My understanding is polyurethane has more chemicals so not as safe to use. I also washed it down real well after letting it completely dry for a few days. And it does not soften when it gets wet. I put on many thin coats so each layer would dry thoroughly.
I knew there was that word I was forgetting, "polycrylic." I think I'm going to go with that stuff.

How do you clean it if it were to, say, get poop on it? Brush? Sponge? Strong hose?

Caren Sealover

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s made from an old bureau so hosing it down isn’t an option for me. I have been wiping it down with baby wipes when she’s smears food on the walls from her claws. (I dribble baby food over her salad sometimes and she gets into her bowl to eat it.) If there is a stubborn piece on the wall I use a soft bristle toothbrush and plain water to get it off. I Haven’t had the pleasure of cleaning poop off of the walls yet LOL.

Vynzent

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is another question I had regarding this. Can sealant be applied to smoothen sand? Say I glued a bunch of sand on something, it would suddenly be very abrasive.

Can enough sealant remove the abrasiveness by being a good smooth layer over all the sand? Would it waste a ton of sealant?

Latest posts