• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sealing acrylic paint safely

disposible

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m currently revamping my dragons 4x2x2 enclosure with a custom background and making the switch to bioactive.
I am sealing the foam with Drylok cement mixed with non toxic acrylic paint to get the correct color i want.
i also would like to paint the inside of the tank that isn’t covered by the background a light blue to resemble the sky.

What can i seal acrylic with that’s safe for bearded dragons? it doesn’t need to be durable as he won’t be able to scratch it up because it’s up high. i don’t want a glossy sheen and i am in a budget so i can’t do pond armor epoxy or any of that. thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m currently revamping my dragons 4x2x2 enclosure with a custom background and making the switch to bioactive.
I am sealing the foam with Drylok cement mixed with non toxic acrylic paint to get the correct color i want.
i also would like to paint the inside of the tank that isn’t covered by the background a light blue to resemble the sky.

What can i seal acrylic with that’s safe for bearded dragons? it doesn’t need to be durable as he won’t be able to scratch it up because it’s up high. i don’t want a glossy sheen and i am in a budget so i can’t do pond armor epoxy or any of that. thanks
I have asked a friend to see what they recommend

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have asked a friend to see what they recommend
This is the reply I got from him
I'm not sure exactly. Probably Polycrylic or urethane of some kind would work over acrylic paint. There are likely to be non glossy options available.

wyrmsocks

Bearded Dragon Egg
I used Polycrylic for my project (I got mine here but it's available plenty of other places). It has a slight sheen but I don't mind it on my structure. If you want to avoid that sheen, I would make the second coat really really light or avoid it altogether; it turned out a bit cloudy in some spots because I applied it way too thick.

disposible

Bearded Dragon Egg
I used Polycrylic for my project (I got mine here but it's available plenty of other places). It has a slight sheen but I don't mind it on my structure. If you want to avoid that sheen, I would make the second coat really really light or avoid it altogether; it turned out a bit cloudy in some spots because I applied it way too thick.
thank you! i’ll check it out

disposible

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi, i was wondering how well polycrylic held up for you. i read it has a low heat resistance and that worries me as it will be in a bearded dragon tank , his basking spot area reaches temps of 105 F. im just looking to use it to seal the background but im sure it will get hot on the background as well.

wyrmsocks

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi, i was wondering how well polycrylic held up for you. i read it has a low heat resistance and that worries me as it will be in a bearded dragon tank , his basking spot area reaches temps of 105 F. im just looking to use it to seal the background but im sure it will get hot on the background as well.
I haven’t had any issues with it so far, but it’s only been about 2 weeks since I finished it.

Latest posts