• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sealant

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My dad had some grout and tile sealant laying around. Can I use just any type of sealant, or are there specific ones to stay away from?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The grout should be fine.
The sealer should be acrylic sealer,
just check if the tile sealer can handle moisture and heat after drying.

Or PM Craig. He knows of lots that are good for custom vivs

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh gosh this is so confusing.

Umm, well, maybe you guys can help me with this, if it's any help:

01082011296.jpg

01082011298.jpg

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Melissa...why are you grouting? You grouting the tiles in the tank? If so, I don't recommend it. Mainly because you can never get them out if you do. If you just have the tiles fit tightly. This way you can get them out to clean and sterilize occasionally.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Lisa. After having done this myself, I wish I'd have never grouted my tiles in. In the case of my background, I wanted a spray as it was easier to adhere....so I just used it for both, the background and the floor. However, I will answer your question for you.

Being in the engineering field tends to lend a hand in cases like this. For instance, I know that, for hazardous information, I should check the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) of the product. In this case, I compared both, the Tile Lab Grout and Tile Sealer and the Tile Guard One Step Grout Sealer. Both appear to be extremely similar in characteristics. Both can release a potentially dangerous amount of carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide upon thermal decomposition. However, I don't believe our reptile vivs will present a case where this should be an issue. I don't believe they'll ever get hot enough to provide the danger....but that opinion could be debated. To date, after 4 years, I've had no problems and Frodo has no ill affects in using the product.

The ONE thing that sold me on the Tile Guard One Step Grout Sealer is this disclaimer on their MSDS sheet: ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARD: This product does not normally present a significant hazard to aquatic or terrestrial life in consumer quantities. And for that, I'd recommend the Tile Guard One Step spray adhesive over just about anything else.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Lisa and Craig, my plan was to not have the tiles 'permanently'. My idea was to cut a sheet of wood down to the size of the floor of the viv. Then take that, and grout in the tiles. The thing is, it will be removable in the case where I want to clean, get different tiles, or if I need to move the viv (because it would be heavy to move with tiles). And I like the way it looks when tiles are grouted.

And thanks Craig for answering.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh crud..... looks like I won't be grouting till the Spring. It's way too cold to cut tiles outside. Where I live, it is very COLD. Darn Winter. *sigh* I guess I'll have to deal with overlapping tiles for a few months lol. The only cutting I HAVE to do and can't do without, are the holes for the vents. Yipee. Hopefully it won't take too long because I have to do it outside lol.....

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you have a home depot of lowes they might cut them for you for a $$$. I know if you buy tiles from them they will cut a few for you to fit.

BTW...I live in MA and it is freezing here too!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You're very welcome, Mel!

My local Lowes cut mine for free. When I did my vivs, I built them to allow for full tiles. If you don't have a lot to cut, get you one of those cheap tile cutters. I have one and have used it in a pinch. Works just fine....and hardly any mess.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Unfortunately, Rona or Home Depot do not cut tiles. Lowes? Hmm, I haven't heard of one around here.

Craig, my dad says he'll use his saw LOL uhh I don't know how that's going to turn out......

Well guys, my viv is all done.................................................... ;D

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well this is probably the way NOT TO DO IT

But once my Dad forgot his tile cutter and he cut my 1st tiles with a grinder. ;D ;D ;D
Just do a few overlapping cuts - slowly is the key and DONT try to cut straight through on the 1st go.

Latest posts