• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scrub-a-dub...dragon in the tub?

SilverSerpent

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry for the corny title, but this is a bit of an odd question and I figured I'd have a little fun with it :D

So, my girl has the habit of pooping and then cheerfully trotting right through it. (I swear, she plans this. It's a conspiracy I tell ya.)

What are some of the rules of thumb in terms of washing a bearded dragon? Any soaps I can/should use? If any? I've been giving her soaks every other day to help with her hydration, but plain water and a gentle washcloth doesn't seem to do much in terms of getting her clean.

Thoughts?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry for the corny title, but this is a bit of an odd question and I figured I'd have a little fun with it :D

So, my girl has the habit of pooping and then cheerfully trotting right through it. (I swear, she plans this. It's a conspiracy I tell ya.)

What are some of the rules of thumb in terms of washing a bearded dragon? Any soaps I can/should use? If any? I've been giving her soaks every other day to help with her hydration, but plain water and a gentle washcloth doesn't seem to do much in terms of getting her clean.

Thoughts?
lol good title..
Ah yes poo painting...you can get dragon wash from beautifuldragons.co (yes leave the m out of com) and it does help alot and if you have a really stinky girl they have one for that I forget the name but @PasyB she has used it..You can use a soft toothbrush and gently scrub them down. The only way they hydrate in the bath is if they drink from it..they do not absorb any thru their skin or vent that is a myth. My 2 will only poop in the bath as I've made that a routine for them however I am disabled so I am home so I have more time... makes for easy clean up too..My younger male 1yr eats a ton of greens so he poops everyday my 2yr can go every other but his eating has increased with the warm weather and different greens and flowers so he's going everyday to..My female Izzy 3yo my profile pic (passed a couple months ago) she would go about every 4-5 days..
Hope that helps

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use the soaps from bearded dragon.co they are all great. You can also just get some castile soap and use that. What I do is I wet the dragon, soap them up and rinse them off. Never put soap in the water they are sitting in and I never wash near their face or eyes.

LavishLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a dragon that thinks he is an artist when he uses his poo like paint. He can get pretty nasty. I haven't used soaps before. I would trust that if people have used them that they are safe. I just do a bath and make the water a little bit warmer than usual. Then i let him soak for a good 10 minutes. I then use a toothbrush (soft, preferably a child's soft) and use that to gently brush off the offending poo. Don't go against the scales and don't scrub hard. After the poo is removed, i let the water out and rinse him down with the faucet.

sqwkr

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use and have always used Dr. Bronner's liquid soap with a soft toothbrush. Use whatever scent you like. I handle my dragons a lot so I like them to not smell like poop and if you dont use a scent they will still smell like poop. I use the lavender scent because I love the way it smells. Most of the "dragon washes" out are Castile soap just bottled by someone else. I've used several and found it to be the same thing. I let my dragons soak for a bit in an extra warm bath for about 10 min to loosen the poop. Then apply a little soap to the tooth brush starting at the first row of spikes on the back or their head I brush down with the scales making sure to get their toes and nails really well working my way down their body. When the brush gets really nasty (depending on how creative your dragon got with its painting) I rinse the brush and put a little more and I mean just a few drops goes a long way with this soap. Once I've gone head to toe i rinse them down well still brushing with the clean brush to make sure there is no remaining soap somewhere. Making sure to not get it in their eyes.

LavishLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use and have always used Dr. Bronner's liquid soap with a soft toothbrush. Use whatever scent you like. I handle my dragons a lot so I like them to not smell like poop and if you dont use a scent they will still smell like poop. I use the lavender scent because I love the way it smells. Most of the "dragon washes" out are Castile soap just bottled by someone else. I've used several and found it to be the same thing. I let my dragons soak for a bit in an extra warm bath for about 10 min to loosen the poop. Then apply a little soap to the tooth brush starting at the first row of spikes on the back or their head I brush down with the scales making sure to get their toes and nails really well working my way down their body. When the brush gets really nasty (depending on how creative your dragon got with its painting) I rinse the brush and put a little more and I mean just a few drops goes a long way with this soap. Once I've gone head to toe i rinse them down well still brushing with the clean brush to make sure there is no remaining soap somewhere. Making sure to not get it in their eyes.

Kitty

Bearded Dragon Egg
I give my bearded dragon a bath once a week. Unless he is pawing at the glass then I know he has to go poops. He always poops during his bath and then a quick rinse and he's squeaky clean. Maybe cut back on the baths a little bit so he goes in the tub instead...

Latest posts